I really exciting about to share this recipe and the story behind it. I can say this second attempt of me making vegan cheese cake was really gave me some thrilled, when it turn out so beautifully delicious make me even more happier.
I can say that, I am typical intuitive cooker, I can’t strict myself base on certain recipe. Every time I did that, I always disappointed with the result because of setting some expectation, so what I learned is I always free my mind every time I cooked and following what my heart telling me, like just simply change the amount of this and that, or adding my favourite certain ingredient that I’ll think match to the recipe I working on.
Well this also happen to this recipe, I was cruising on Pinterest when found out about this recipe, look super delicious and so appetising yet are so healthy, the perk of being vegan you got the most nutritious food. I adapting this recipe inspired by my dearly friend who got allergic to Milk Protein, of course there is no dairy on vegan recipe.
For the base of this cheese cake, I omit the desiccated coconut and replace it with the Pomelo candy instead. Find one this Pomelo candy, it is zingy and give such a dimension to the base of this cheese cake, Lucky me I found the organic one with natural sweetening. The idea just come to my mind, resulting the bittersweet Pomelo candy bring and nutty taste to the base gave a such contrast to the soft mildness of cheese cake filling and this are really remind me of this friend haha. I am so happy to find out some unique flavour to the base of this cake, well I can’t said that this recipe technically are real cake *detail oriented person. So free your mind, go outside and get inspired *Grin.
I got some note during creating this cake, I soaked the cashew nut for at least 12 hours and resulting really soft and creamy texture of cheese cake filling, also to soaking the cashew it will be easy to digest and absorb by our body. For the coconut oil, I used one that organic virgin coconut oil, there are some treatment on how to melted this coconut oil. I did Au bain marie the coconut oil, which is I put the coconut oil in the bowl and melting it slowly in shimmering water *heat off. I want to talk about nutrition that carried by this recipe in another post *I hope it wont be boring haha
**Unfortunately I don’t have any picture that taking from the side of the cake, my kids don’t have any patient to digging on it
And here all you need
RAW LEMON VEGAN CHEESE CAKE
Serve 6 big chunk/8 small lovely slice
- 1/2 cup pomelo candy (you can give it try by using some of dried fruit)
- 3/4 cup almond
- a pinch of sea salt
- 5 Medium size of Medjol dates (soaked it in warm water for 5 minute until it soften)
- 1 tbs virgin coconut oil (melting it gently with au bain marie, heat off)
- Zest from 1 lemon
- 1 cup cashew, soaked at least 12 hour to get really creamy and soft texture. Drain the cashew and rinse it well
- Fresh squeeze lemon juice from l 1 1/2 lemon, 2 if you got small lemon
- 1/4 cup thick coconut milk (or Nut milk of your preference)
- 1/3 cup honey (raw honey or pure maple syrup)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil (melting it gently with au bain marie, heat off)
- pinch of sea salt
- Fresh fruit of your preference
- Edible flower
- I also scatter the cake with slice pomelo candy
- Soak the dates in warm water until soft, approximately 10-15 minute then drain it. Put the dates, pomelo candy, almond and sea salt in food processor and pulse it until reaching paste form.
- Put the crust mixture in the bottom of springform pan and press it gently. If you don’t have springform pan, you can layered normal pan with cling film with extra until it cover the surface of the pan so would be easy to pulling out the cake when ready to serve. Left the crust mixture in freezer while making the filling.
- Put all the filling ingredient in food processor and pulse it, until reaching smooth consistency (really important to pulse it as smooth as possible, so you would get the creamiest texture cake). Pour the filling into the crust and cover it with cling film, if you make it with normal pan you can cover it with an extra cling film you got. Freeze it for at least 4 hour.
- Before serving it, take the cake out from the freezer and leave it in room temperature 10-15 minute, or cut it with hot knife (run the knife in hot or warm water then dry it off) to make a neat finish. But before that you can decorate it with fresh fruit or even edible flower if you have it in hand.