I first tried to taste this key lime bars from my favourite healthy shop here in Madrid, and I falling in love with the sharpness of the bars, then promise myself to re-make it.
I look online for the recipe, then find one that really convincing, I feel lucky that I just need to tried once for the recipe and it work really well, here it is the original recipe Key lime bars.
I made some adjustment though, by replacing one ingredient and bake it in low temperature for 20 minute to extend the life time of the bars. In the original recipe the bars are not baked so it only last for 1 week and need to be store in a fridge. And mine, are stay fresh for 3 weeks store in tight close jar and cold place.
I change one ingredient from the original recipe by replacing the Deglate date into Medjol date, I love the sweet and chewiness of the Medjol dates. The medjol dates create such a sticky, caramel taste to the bars, oucch I just love it.
KEY LIME NUT BARS (VEGAN FRIENDLY)
Serve 12-16 thin bars
- 3/4 cup whole almond
- 3/4 cup roasted cashew nut
- 1/4 cup plain coconut flake
- 10-11 medjol dates (pitted)
- pinch of sea salt
- zest from 2 lime
- Juice from 1 1/2 lime (I like my bars sharp)
- Preheat the oven for 100 degree celsius.
- Put the dates, sea salt, lime zest and lime juice into food processor, blitz it. I like the nut have a bit texture, so I put the nut in the last process. Blitz again the food processor, until the mixture reaching crumbly texture (when you pinch the mixture it would clump up and well combine)
- In tray bake with parchment paper, shape the mixture into square with 1cm thickness, then put it in the oven and bake under 100 degree Celsius for 20 minute.
- While it hot cut it long square as your preference.
- Wrap it with parchment paper if necessary