Yesss the name of this dishes is Sambal, but this recipe isn’t spicy (but you can make it spicy though hehe). If you been to Indonesia usually people will associate Sambal with spicy condiment that we have, that is totally true, there are bunch of Sambal recipe we have, and they are all exciting *hehe.
This recipe are a bit different, because you have solid ingredient in it, not merely chilli, shallot, garlic with tomatoes, but with ingredient such as potatoes and sometime with meaty based protein (but I will stick with tempeh as protein based ingredient)
Sambal goreng commonly are cooked by Javanesse, there are several Sambal Goreng recipe across Java island, but I remake the generic one, one recipe that gave by my mother. This recipe need some time and love to cook, but it will be paid off at least for me (I promise you hehe). The humbleness, the rustic taste of this dishes are always be misses by my family, as in my home country this dishes are usually are serve for special occasion such as child bird celebration, birthday celebration or any special occasion. Commonly are serve with yellow rice (rice that cooked with coconut milk, turmeric and aromatic leaves) or with Nasi gurih (savoury rice that cooked with coconut milk), while in here I just serve it with Gulai Kale and brown rice.
Would you like to cook with me?
POTATOES AND TEMPEH SAMBAL GORENG
Serve 1 plate of condiment
Sambal goreng spice paste (blend all the ingredient into paste consistency)
- 1 medium size French shallot
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 red chilli (seed out)
- 2 candle nut (replace it with roasted cashew nut, for the same amount)
- 1/2 small tomatoes
- 3 medium size potatoes, cube and fried it until golden and soft
- 200 gram tempeh, cube and fried it until golden
- 2 bay-leaf
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 3cm galangal, smashed it to release the aroma
- 1 lemon grass, smashed the white part
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 2 tbs of sweet soy sauce (replace it with 1 tbs soy sauce and 1 tbs brown sugar if you don’t have it in hand)
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- On medium size pan and medium heat, put inside the vegetable oil, the Sambal Goreng paste, bay leaf, kaffir lime leaves, galangal and lemon grass. Sautéed them until fragrance.
- After fragrance, put inside potatoes and tempeh, stir them until well combined. Then season with sea salt, brown sugar and sweet soy sauce.
- Back to stir them well until all the sweet soy sauce are absorb perfectly, give a taste and correcting it if necessary according to your preferences.
- After all are well combine, take it off from the heat and serve.