Wow, I think this is the first time, I posted cake recipe and it is vegan cake *sign. This cake is rich and delicious with deep flavour of chocolate, even though you have to find alternate vegan butter for the butter cream, I am so lucky that I can choose several choices, like coconut milk base butter and olive base butter.
Even though my family are not really into sweet thing, I really want to give it a try this recipe, which is turn so beautiful. I would dare to compete with non vegan chocolate cake recipe *whoop. I am not personally fan of chocolate and cake *grin, but even me love this chocolate cake, during decorate this cake can’t stop to munch on the extra crumb, nyum nyummm.
I gave this half of this cakes to my friends which they are chocolate and cake lover, and they were loving it. After give a try to this recipe, later on I also used this recipe for my chocolate cupcake.
Here the recipe
VEGAN RICH CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups organic cane sugar ( I used brown sugar, because I love depth flavor and hint of savouriness from brown sugar)
- 1 tsp sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 6 Tbs cocoa powder (really good quality, I used dark one)
- 2 tsp aluminum-free baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 12 Tbs (3/4 cup) coconut oil, melted and cooled
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 Tbs coffee (freshly brewed or leftover) – I omit this because I baking for the kids
- 2 cups lukewarm water
- 2 Tbs freshly squeeze lemon – or You can used apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegarNote : The powdered ginger and coffee are optional. I like to add them just because they give the chocolate a little more “depth of flavor” as professional bakers like to say. You can’t taste either the ginger or coffee, but they enhance the chocolate flavor.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees ( 175 Celsius) and grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans or one 13 x 9 inch pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, cocoa powder, baking soda, and ginger, stirring to mix well.
- Add melted and cooled coconut oil, vanilla, and lukewarm water. Stir well to combine.
- Add coffee and fresh lemon juice, stirring well to make sure there are no lumps in the batter. The batter will foam up a bit as the baking soda reacts with the acid in the lemon juice and the coffee.
- Pour batter into cake pans and bake at 375 degrees for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (If you use a 13 x 9 pan rather than two cake pans, the cake might take a bit longer to bake through.)
VEGAN BUTTER CREAM
- 1 Cup alternate vegan butter
- 4 cup icing sugar
- 1-2 tbs fresh squeeze lemon or lime
Note: I don’t really like overly sweet butter cream, and to cut the sweetness I add squeeze lime or lemon, otherwise you can replace it with plant base milk. But the lime or lemon, gave really different edge to the butter cream and slight of sour freshness into the buttercream, give it a try.
- Put all the buttercream ingredient into the mixer. Mix it until well combine, creamy and fluffy. Ready to be used. If you want to put the colour, add drop by drop until you reach the colour you want.