I feel really in tune with this Autumn season that coming up, all my comfort food recipe are dancing in my eyes beg to be enjoy, I just wish that I am not ever eating *haha. And tempeh, tempeh are all family member favourite, it is so versatile and can be adapt in a lot Indonesian recipe, or just simple being deep fried season with garlic and salt paste.
Okay back to this dishes, semur are similar to stew, slow cook food, commonly are using meat, chicken or egg as protein base, cooked in a broth until the broth are reduce and becoming intense in flavour. But in this recipe I change the main protein ingredient into something else that suitable for vegan, in this case are tempeh. Tempeh in semur are common in Indonesia as well as tofu, so if you have difficulties to find tempeh you can replace it with firm tofu, oowwh yummy.
The different between semur and stew maybe, in semur we using sweet soy sauce ( you can find this ingredient in asian grocery store). The overall taste will be sweet, savoury and comforting *haha. This dishes are ideal to be enjoy during chilly weather and you need a blanket in a form of food.
Short short, here is the recipe
INDONESIAN STEW (POTATOES SEMUR AND TEMPEH)
Serve 2-3 small portion
For the spice paste (blend them together until form a paste)
- 1 medium size French shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp cumin (you can used ground cumin)
- 1/2 tsp coriander (you can used ground coriander)
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 adult thumb size ginger *yeah adult size
- 4 potatoes, peel the skin off and quarter
- 200 gram tempeh, Cut it in chunk, or you can replace it with tofu for the same amount
- 2 clove
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemon grass, bruise the white tip of it
- 2-3 tbs sweet soy sauce
- 200ml water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- In medium heat with medium size pan, put inside the vegetable oil, spice paste, clove, bay leaves and lemon grass. Sautéed until fragrance.
- After the spice are fragrance, put inside the water, clove and the potatoes. Cook until it boiling.
- After the potatoes are boiling put inside the tempeh and sweet soy sauce. season with salt and brown sugar.
- Reduce the heat and cook it slowly until the broth are thick and glistening.
- Take it off from the heat.
- Ready to enjoy.