Rendang, this food has been named as one of the best food in the world, thanks to the complexity of deliciousness. As Indonesian, this food are treasure in our family, the one to go food to brighten all family member eyes, even my daughter are loving it, she is not a fan of spicy and meaty food, my son will be screaming for another bowl of warm rice if I made this dishes, and my husband, he will complaining for making him over eating :D.
There are a lot recipe of rendang that usually Indonesian made, even though this dishes are specifically come from west Sumatra, but this dishes are nationally adopt by Indonesian and because of this many adaption are made (like myself, I have light recipe that I think will be easy to enjoy for first timer, also I have this intense recipe that full of spices that may will be quite heavy for first timer, both are delicious for me :D).
Traditionally rendang are made from beef, sometime from cow intestine, chicken and adding baby potatoes also commonly do. Until 1 year ago if I am not mistaken, I heard there were some experiment, that was replacing the main protein ingredient into plan based ingredient, that main ingredient is Jack fruit, that experiment just awaken my curiosity, I want to tried myself using my recipe.
Well this is the result, it taste awesome :D, and my daughter mistaken it as it real rendang, while my husband was not convincing at the first, but after tasting it, he took second plate of rice, so I can conclude that this recipe are work :D.
Here the recipe if you want to tried, this recipe are dedicated for Vegan out there 😉
SIMPLE RENDANG (LIGHT IN TASTE)
SERVE 1 medium bowl
- 550 gram chunk of young jack fruit (half cook)
- 500 ml coconut milk ( I suggest you used the brand Aroy-D original, because the ingredient is 60 percent coconut and 40 percent water, so it is thick and there is no additional added ingredient)
- 100 ml water
- 2 stalk lemon grass (crush it)
- 5-6 kefir lime leaf
- 2 turmeric leaf ( you can omit, if you don’t have it)
- 2 bay leaf
THE SPICE PASTE
- 10 red chilli (you can adjust the spiciness and seed out the chilli)
- 3 french shallot (medium size)
- 6 garlic clove
- 5 candle nut (or replace it with roasted cashew nut for same amount)
- 3 cm ginger
- 4 cm galangal
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 11/2 tsp brown sugar
1. Boiled the coconut milk, the rendang paste, turmeric leaf, bay leaf, lemon grass and kefir lime leaf. Cooked them until boiling and stir them constantly to avoid burning.
2. When the coconut milk is thicken and change in colour into a bit brown, put inside the jack fruit, stir them occasionally, cooked them in medium heat, season them with sugar and salt.
3. When the broth are reduce becoming really thick paste and thin layer of oil are appear (cooked them in low heat, because the bubble will be fliping away), you must constantly stir them otherwise the jack fruit will be burn, continue to cooked until browning.
4. From here you can continue cooking or you can stop, if you love mild flavour Rendang once the rendang browning and the oil are heavily appear it is ready to serve but if you love intense flavor you can continue cooking until it turn a bit black but in here you need patience 🙂 because you have to continue stir them.
5. I love the intense flavour and my total cooking can be up to 1-11/2 hour
3 Comments Add yours
I see you don’t monetize mykitchenadventurediary.com, don’t waste your traffic, you can earn extra cash
every month with new monetization method. This is the best adsense alternative for any type of website (they approve all
sites), for more details simply search in gooogle: murgrabia’s
I really appreciate that your website is not filled with annoying ads. I would gladly donate to your website to keep it this way. Also this rendang recipe is so good.
Owh Thank you so much Lola, for the support you gave to me. I just so glad that you enjoy my website, I would keep this way as long as I could maintain it. Just to have you read and enjoy this writing is already the bless itself. Thank you so much, see you in a future reading … take care