Well, Bamboo shoots is one of Indonesian delicacy ingredient, event though not all Indonesian like to eat Bamboo shoot due to their exotic smell (haha it is exotic for me). My mom used to cooked a lot of this ingredient when I was kid, boiling over and over to remove to strong smell, and the end of boiling process it will be just left crunchy fresh taste bamboo shoots. We normally cooking it in curry, but in the other part of Indonesia this ingredient also used as a filling for snack that called “Risol” It is almost similar to spring roll.
I am really happy when found this ingredient in the Asian grocery store, even for the first I was not really convince with the taste, both my kids are never taste this ingredient back in my home country, so finger cross. VIOLA, the first time I cooked this curry, my kids finish them all, and asking to cook this similar dishes next time, sure kiddos, for sure *haha. This time, I mix the curry with yet another my favourite kids ingredient, cauliflower and they loving it, to be enjoy with steam brown rice, yummyy
I am not going bragging too long on this post, so lets go 😉
INDONESIAN BAMBOO SHOOTS AND CAULIFLOWER CURRY
- 200 gram cooked bamboo shoots
- 1 handfull cauliflower
- 250 ml coconut oil
- 500 ml coconut oil
- 3cm galangal, crush it
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 lemon grass
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
CURRY PASTE (blend them into paste)
- 1/2 medium size red paprika (this red paprika creating really nice colour into the dishes)
- 2 red chilli seed out (if you like the curry spicy you can keep the seed in)
- 1 medium size shallot
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 candle nut (it can be replaced by roasted cashew for the same amount)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- In medium size pot and medium heat, put inside the vegetable oil, curry paste , galangal, kaffir lime leaves, bay leaves and lemon grass, sautéed them until really fragrance.
- After the paste and aromatic leaves are fragrance, put inside the water and the coconut milk, let them boiled.
- When the broth are boiling, season with sea salt and brown sugar. Correct the taste according your preference (if any).
- After it taste perfectly balance, add in the bamboo shoots and the cauliflower, let them boiled for 6-7 minute.
- The curry are ready to serve, serve with warm brown rice, it is simple, humble dishes. Enjoy