Singaporean laksa is my favourite, for the thick rich broth of coconut milk, the richness taste of spice. This recipe are my vegan adaptation, the original recipe are required the shrimp paste that will make the broth rich with the ocean flavour. Long time a go, everytime I went to Singapore, this dishes one that I wont missed, it was like provide comfort with the warm and my grandma kitchen hospitality, haha if you know what I mean.
Imagining to enjoy this dishes during cold freezing winter are really happy prospect, for people like me that rotate my activity base on food, well this just so silly, or really am I? haha. This dishes normally come with seafood (shrimp to be specific), fried tofu or chicken. But so far I haven’t find any fried tofu that I able to put in the recipe and I change a lot of the main filling ingredient with vegetable and mushroom. My tips is choose mushroom that have subtle smell and taste so it wont overpower the richness of the broth.
I dedicate this recipe to all vegan out there, lets have fun and it is yummy, muaach
Lets avoid my madness
VEGAN SINGAPOREAN LAKSA
LAKSA PASTA (BLEND ALL THE INGREDIENT INTO BLENDER, UNTIL IT REACH PASTE TEXTURE)
- 2 red chilli (deseeding them, or if you like spicy just let the seed in)
- 1/2 red paprika ( I found that paprika can give really beautiful colour into the laksa broth)
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 big size of French shallot
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 candle nut (if you don’t have candle nut you can replace it with roasted cashew, it will work almost similar to candle nut, thicken the broth and bring nutty savouriness)
- 3 cm galangal
- 1 white tip of lemon grass
- 1 lemon grass, crust it to release the aroma
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 500ml coconut milk
- 500ml water
- 2tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- Rice noodle, cooked it in boiling water and rinse it in running cold water
- white and brown Shimeji mushroom (small king oyster mushroom, slice it)
- 1 handfull cauliflower
- 100 gram firm tofu, cube it
- 4-5 cherry tomatoes, quarter
- 1 spring onion to serve (slice it finely)
- In medium heat and medium size pot, put inside the vegetable oil, laksa paste, lime leaves and lemon grass, sautéed them until super fragrance.
- After the spice paste are really fragrance, put inside the the coconut milk and water, leave it until boiling.
- When the broth are boiling season with sea salt, brown sugar and white pepper, correcting the taste according to your preference.
- After achieving your preference taste, put inside tofu and cauliflower, leave it boiling of another 2-3 minute, Lastly put inside the mushroom, let it boiling again in another 2 minute then take it our from the heat
- How to serve, in medium bowl put inside the rice noodle (as much as you prefer), pour the broth with the tofu, cauliflower and mushroom. Sprinkle with slice cherry tomatoes and spring onion (if you have fried onion or fried shallot, it will be even more perfect).