This are my junk food, typical Indonesian junk food, even though it is made from bunch of vegetable but the fried cooking process make me consider this snack as junk food hehe. Regardless of the cooking process, this snack are people pleasure for we “Indonesian” hehe. Indonesian love fried, fried sweet potatoes, fried banana, fried vegetable fritter, fried spring roll, or everything fried (I think a lot of people love fried food :D).
Even though this vegetable fritter are snack categorised but I love to eat this snack with rice, noodle, or with spicy peanut butter dipping. I love to eat it with Nasi uduk NASI UDUK (RICE COOKED IN COCONUT MILK). Just humble food that can be enjoy at anytime, breakfast, lunch or dinner (unhealthy one :D).
When the weather outside are getting chiller, enjoy warm snack it such indulging *throw away your weigh scales :D, enjoy some conscious eating are good for your soul though *wink.
INDONESIAN VEGETABLE FRITTER
Serve an Army of hungry kids
- 500 gram white cabbage, slice it really fine (not necessarily fine if you have a problem with time and patience :D, just do it as you prefer)
- 3 carrot, julienne then dice it into little cube (I know it need a lot of work, but you can just julienne the carrot, or you can do as your prefer)
- 2 spring onion, slice it fine
- 2 stalk of celery, slice it fine
- 1 handfull of celery leaves, slice it fine
- 1 corn, trim it
- 4 garlic mince it
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 medium size French shallot, mince it *or slice it 😀
- 1 tbs sea salt
- 1/2 tbs brown sugar
- 2 egg (omit it if you are vegan)
- 550 ml water
- 750 gram all purpose flour
- Oil to fried the fritter
- Mix all the vegetable together with garlic, salt, brown sugar and white pepper, mixing it really well thoroughly.
- Put inside the flour, and again mixing through with the vegetables, mixing it well until the vegetable seem like coating by the flour.
- If you are not vegan, put inside the egg, but omit this process if you are not consume it, then put inside the water.
- Mixing it well until becoming batter, almost similar to cake batter, but don’t “Over mixing” it, other wise the gluten will be awake and the fritter will be tough.
- Let the batter rest for at least 15-30 minute, the resting time will make natural water in the cabbage release, and make the batter well combine.
- In medium heat, put the pan with the oil in, after the oil are really hot, put 1 table spoon of batter in, and fried it until golden brown.
- And you good to go, enjoy the junk food 😀
- I enjoy it with my runny peanut butter sauce, the recipe are here HOMEMADE SAVOURY PEANUT AND CASHEW BUTTER SAUCE , However, this recipe are quite thick, you can add some water in it, and re cook it, until it bubbling away.