In the sea of vegan burger recipe that you can find online, here is mine, trying to snuggle between the sea *jejeje. Owwh yeah, I am snuggling comfort now. I always curious how is the taste of vegan burger (not that I miss the meat), also knowing the chance of experimenting are enough to ignite me.
I already experimenting this recipe twice, to find texture that I like, the first experimenting were too soft for me, lack of texture, I used panko breadcrumb as one of an ingredient but it just not hit my palette then in my second tried I used this steel cut oatmeal and it hit out.
Also in the ingredient, I used Oyster mushroom, they key for building good texture here, I used good fresh oyster mushroom, but again you can used your mushroom preference, I used oyster mushroom because here are in season, cheap and juicy succulent, but mostly because it is cheap *hehe and fresh, also it is local *promote local produce for fresh, healthy and cheap.
So zip it, lets go get exciting on this experimental recipe
MY VEGAN BURGER
SERVE 9 small size
- 200 Gram oyster mushroom, choose fresh, fatty one. Dice it roughly
- 1 onion, dice it fine
- 250 gram red bean or kidney bean, mashed it roughly ( to keep the texture of the burger, it is nice to munch chunky savoury bean). I used can kidney bean, with salt.
- 1/3 cup steel cut oatmeal (or any oatmeal your preference)
- 2 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp white pepper OR for edgy sharp one, it can be replace with fresh grind black pepper
- 2 tsp liquid smoke (this is the key of, hmmm what it is thing)
- Pinch of oregano
- Olive oil for sautéed the mushroom
- Sautéed the mushroom and the onion until soft and fragrance, sprinkle with sea salt and pinch of oregano.
- In big bowl put inside the mashed kidney bean, sautéed mushroom and everything else. Mixing it through and really well.
- After the burger mixture is well combine, take 1-2 spoonful of the mixture, shape it in ball and flatten it.
- It is make 9-10 small patty.
- Put the grill in high heat, wait until the grill are really hot then grill the patty’s. Each side for approximately 4 minute until it slightly burn.
- Ready to serve.
- I serve it with burger bun and also enjoy it with salad.
- Just do freely to experiment.