Actually I was not going post this recipe, but when I saw my kids finishing all 12 cupcake in one night and considering they are seriously not sweet tooth, been change my mind. I like this cake actually, the texture are so moist for vegan cupcake. But when I mix with buttercream I think that they are taste better to devour alone without buttercream, but this is me, long way before, I also not fan of buttercream in normal cake.
My buttercream recipe were also unusual, and strangely, I love to eat this buttercream alone *sigh, so weird, to mix with cake it was bit too sweet, again it is just me, I am serious not sweet eater.
I hope you ready to open your mind and make an adventure baking this cake, maybe a bit odd, considering sweet potatoes are mostly used in savoury recipe, while I posted a lot of dessert with sweet potatoes ingredient. Back in Indonesia, because of naturally sweet taste, sweet potatoes are commonly are ingredient that being used as a dessert or sweetener substitute.
Here we go, come with me
VEGAN SWEET POTATOES CUPCAKE
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cups organic unrefined white sugar (used 3/4 cup if you fan of sweet)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt or Himalayan salt
- 1 tsp aluminum-free baking soda
- 6 Tbs coconut oil, melted and cooled OR 1/3 cup unflavored vegetable oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract or 1 pod vanilla seed
- 1 cups almond milk or plant based milk, but almond milk give a fragrance vanilla like, that enhance vanilla seed
- 1 fresh squeeze lemon juice
- 2/3 cup mashed regular orange sweet potatoes
- Preheat oven to 175 degree Celsius, prepare 12 holes pancake pan and line up cupcake case.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking soda stirring to mix well.
Add melted and cooled coconut oil, vanilla, mashed sweet potatoes and almond milk. Stir well to combine.
- Add lemon juice, stirring well to make sure there are no lumps in the batter. The batter will foam up a bit as the baking soda reacts with the acid in the lemon juice.
- Pour batter into cupcake pans, 3/4 full of cupcake case and bake at 175 celsius degrees for about 18-20minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- After toothpick comes out clean when inserted, cooling it down and ready to icing.
You can used your favourite buttercream recipe, but here is mine.
- 1 cup vegan butter substitute (room temperature)
- 3 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- pinch of salt
Mix all ingredient above together until fluffy, I think you can see that I used lemon juice, I used it to cut the sweetness from the sugar, the salt also used to balance the taste.