It’s been long time since the last time I am making this bread, because since arrive here in Madrid I don’t have any idea where to buy thing such as chia seed or flax seed to replace some of the ingredient, turn out flax seed have a different name in here, and this bread is my daughter favourite.
I still remember when she saying, “Mom can I have this bread as much as I want, it is sugar free right mom?”, I am trying my best to introduce about sugar on body metabolism to my kids, in simpler way, I thanks God that they understand, even though right now, I struggling to set a limit on their candy addiction *sad face, even though they understand but still they can’t resist of candy temptation
This Banana bread is super easy, you can do it without any kitchen gadget, and taste super delish, fudgy and moist. Definitely different density than normal Banana bread, but I prefer this version where the bread taste so intense. When I was still did baking good for my friends, this was one of their favourite, because they prefer vegan healthy version.
VEGAN BANANA BREAD
- 1 tbsp flax seed, ground (+ 3 tbsp water)
- 5 medium sized bananas, mashed (1¾ cup mashed bananas) – Choose over ripe banana, it taste better and super fragrance
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup coconut oil or light olive oil
- 10 dates, mashed it (1/4 cup mashed dates)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp fresh squeeze lime or lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1½ tsp baking powder
1 fresh banana (not over ripe) cut in a half
- 1½ cup quick cooking or small flakes oats
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup white whole wheat or spelt flour
- Preheat oven to 360F or 180C. Lightly oil a standard square baking or loaf pan with coconut oil or non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, stir together flax seed and water. Set aside to thicken while mixing together other ingredients. This is your flax ‘egg’.
- In a large size bowl, mash bananas. Add the maple syrup, melted coconut oil, mashed dates, vanilla extract, , cinnamon, sea salt and baking powder to the banana mixture.
- Give the thickened flax egg an extra stir if it is not fully combined with water. Add to the wet ingredients.
- Whisk together with a hand or electric mixture until the ingredients are well combined.
- Add the quick cooking oats to the wet ingredients. Stir together. Add flour and baking soda to the banana bread batter. Combine the baking soda and flour together on top of the banana bread batter before folding it into the batter. With a spatula, fold the flour and baking soda into the banana bread batter until fully combined. Leave to thicken for a minute before adding it to the loaf pan.
- Add banana bread batter into the oiled loaf pan. Smooth out the top of the batter with the back of a cold spoon. Before going to the oven top the batter with half banana, push it gently
- Bake for 35 – 40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clear.
- Leave to cool down in pan
- voila your Banana bread is ready to be devoured and enjoyed!