I love this recipe, I love this dishes, I love the story behind this dishes and I love the free translation from the name of this dishes hehehe.
I first knew this dishes from Nigella lawson cooking, I love her effortless cooking very much. By the translation is quite intriguing and provokingly hilarious hehe, Nigella translate it as Slut Spaghetti (she used spaghetti pasta).
The story as I understand it, is, classic Italian recipe that reliable during midnight hunger, while you only have cupboard ingredients, such as can chopped tomatoes, can of olive, can of anchovy and can of cappers, also obviously everyone cupboard staple, PASTA.
As I slowly adapting into Spanish ingredients, Those ingredients are also staple of my cupboard. My kids love olives, while chopped tomatoes are like “live vest under the seat” situation in my house (my kids favourite pasta dishes are with tomatoes). Cappers are like the sound of ocean for me, it tangy, salty and somehow I can taste ocean salty water in it. So if you want to omit the anchovy, cappers are good enough to replace ocean flavour from this dishes, in my opinion.
Here are my version of this classic, I am so sorry Italian if I skip the Anchovy, much love.
PASTA ALLA PUTTANESCA (WITHOUT ANCHOVY)
- 200 gram pasta/handful of spaghetti or fettuccini, cooked according the packaging. And cooked it in salty ocean-y water, keep some cooked pasta water, 1/4 cup is enough. Then set aside the pasta.
- 3-4 cloves of garlic, chop roughly
- 1 cup of can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbs of capers
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives
- 2 tbs olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- Handful of chopped parsley to serve
- Freshly ground pepper to serve
- In medium pan and medium heat, put inside the olive oil and garlic. Sautéed the garlic until fragrance.
- After the garlic are fragrance, put inside the chopped tomatoes, cappers, and olive, also 1/4 cup of salty pasta water, continue to cooked until all the basic seasoning are blended well, give it a taste and corrected it accordingly, since some of the ingredient are salty be careful with the using of salt. Seasoned with sea salt (if necessary) and pepper.
- Lastly put inside the cooked pasta, mixing it through until the pasta are coated by the sauces.
- Ready to serve hot with sprinkle of parsley and extra fresh ground pepper.