This is recipe is one of my favourite, I remember the first time I taste this dessert, In Bangkok street food stall, It was just love at the first sight, the soft and sweet sticky rice, the fresh mango, just splendid, sometime simple thing could become so delicious and most thing I love usually just simple and easy.
One thing that I love being an Asian is, I have obsession with food and trying being healthy, and Asian have so many range of dishes that could be easily convert into plant based food *yeay-yeay, also there are already abundant recipe that I could cooked which already plant based and deliciously good *I am on mission trying to cut any meat as much as possible, since I feel a lot more good and I just listen to my body.
Usually I will cooked two version of dishes in a day, one is for the rest of family and one is specific for me, it is a bit hassle for me, But I love that, this way of cooking encourage me to become more creative and efficient with my time.
Back to the recipe, in most traditional recipe usually there are several step, BUT I want to making it simple, since the taste also similar and there is no different, my twist for this recipe are, in original recipe it called for coconut milk, creamy coconut milk, BUT I replace it with almond milk, first reason, I don’t have it in my stock and second I want an experiment *haha I have child curious mind.
This recipe are my friends favourite I used to cooked for them a lot, but back then, I cooked it with coconut milk. Not surprisingly for me, this almond milk are turn delicious, with subtle nutty flavour, I haven’t tried using any other plant base milk, but if you used cow milk I bet it would be taste like rice pudding.
Lets go to the kitchen
THAI MANGO STICKY RICE
Serve 2 generous portion
- 1 cup sticky rice, soaked them for 1-2 hour
- 2 cup almond milk (if you have coconut milk you could also used it, as in original recipe)
- 3 tbs of white sugar (I don’t really like sweet-sweet, but you could always add more)
- 1 pandan leaf, knot it (you could find it, in most Asian grocery store, but please if you could don’t omit this ingredient or you can replace it with one vanilla pod or 1 tea spoon vanilla extract)
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbs roasted sesame seed (black or white all are okay) to sprinkle on serving
- 1 ripe mango, slice it
- 100 ml almond milk (un-sweeten almond milk or coconut milk)
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or 1 pod vanilla pod
- In medium heat, put medium size sauce pan. Put inside the almond milk, knot pandan leaf, sticky rice, sugar and salt
- Cooked the sticky rice until all the liquid are absorb beautifully. When the milk are all absorb the sticky rice will be soft and a bit chewy, if it still hard add just a bit more water 30-50 ml. Take them out from the heat and let it cool, when the sticky rice are already soft
- For the SAUCE: put all the ingredient together, cooked them until it boiled and it is done, leave it cool
- To serve, put the sticky rice in a serving plate and add several table spoon of the sauce, top them with slice of the mango then sprinkle with roasted sesame seed, simply super simple. I don’t pour the sauce for mine, just my preference *haha