I really determine to change side into the plant based eater, my kids are not a fans of meats, they preferred to eat vegetable and fruit which is I am lucky in here, and my husband also really want to cut meat consumption, it is feel like I won lottery haha. He was dead fans meat eater before, and I think he gave up watching me really enjoying my meals haha.
Maybe a lot people think that being plant based eater are really boring, wait until you meet Indonesian food or Asian food dishes *sign. Indonesian food are salty sweet, a lot recipe using complex spices that add a lot dimension and layer into the dishes, yet again the condiment that come with the dishes when it serve.
This are SOTO BETAWI, Betawi are people that live in Batavia, old name of Jakarta. Soto betawi are one of the heritage recipe from betawi people, a lot famous restaurant serve this dishes in Jakarta, usually it will be consist of beef and intestine, serve with slice fresh tomatoes, fried potatoes, cucumber and carrot pickle, also some crackers with light milk broth. But I’ll replace the milk broth with coconut milk instead also omit the beef.
I will go straight to the recipe
VEGAN SOTO BETAWI
Spices paste (blender this below ingredient until it form paste)
- 3 red chilli seed put
- 1 big French Shallot
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 3 cm ginger
- 2 tbs roasted cumin
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 lemon grass, crush it to release the aroma
- 3 clove
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 liter water
- 500 ml thick creamy coconut milk
- 2 potatoes, peel and quarter them, fried until cooked through
- 5 cherries tomatoes, half them
- 1 spring onion, slice them roughly
- fried shallot or onion to serve
- In medium size pot under medium heat, put inside the oil, spices paste, bay leaves, clove and the lemon grass. Sautéed them until fragrance.
- After the paste are fragrance put inside the water, let it boiled. After it boiled, put inside the coconut milk, season with sugar and sea salt, let it back to boiled. Please taste the broth and give a correction to it taste if any.
- After the broth are ready you can mix it with the condiment, the broth is versatile, you can put rice or noodle to enjoy it.
- Here is how I enjoy it, in a bowl, put a brown rice, fried potatoes, fresh slice cherries tomatoes, poured it with the broth. Sprinkle with fried shallot and spring onion. Also Avocado, my favourite.