I have empty plan, and me without plan is like, being naked without clothes on *haha. So I just like an owl looking at my left and right, what I can do now. My empty mind can be really imaginative place that love to play. Sometime I love the idleness, tick tock time, particularly with limited time, I love to race with my limited time and create something, that is why “time” is my ultimate luxury. Move on
Okay lets talk about this recipe, hmmm, back in my home country, to create budget bread usually we used potatoes to substitute egg and butter, potatoes will make the bread moist and soft, work similarly with an egg. I steam the sweet potatoes then mashed it until really smooth.
I have purple sweet potatoes that sitting in my kitchen for almost forever, I just waiting the nudge to create something from it, and today with my idleness, there is no good plan than make an artisan bread from that sweet potatoes. I love moist bread, soft with really good texture, chewy and stretchy. If you have difficulty to find purple sweet potatoes, you can replace it with regular sweet potatoes, I used sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes because it’s more fragrance and naturally sweet.
I am not expecting much from this first trial, but the result really satisfied me, only need few ingredient to made this bread, the fact that this bread is vegan and purple even make me more happier *sigh. And also you need to imagine, straight hot from oven with melted caramelise brown sugar and soft sticky bread, Yummm. I have no words *sigh
Ready to adventure? shall we?
VEGAN SWEET POTATOES CINNAMON ROLL
Serve 12 medium size bread
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (can be purple or orange sweet potatoes)
- 3 – 31/2 cup strong flour (bread flour that contain high protein), plus extra during kneading the dough
- 21/2 tsp instant yeast
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbs vegan butter or you can replace it with 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 11/2 cup warm water (you may not used all of them, and don’t used too hot water, otherwise you will killed the yeast)
- 2 tbs vegan butter
- 2 handfull brown sugar (you may not used it all)
- Ground cinnamon
- Stir the sugar and warm water, set aside.
- In big bowl put the flour, yeast, sugar and salt, mixing it through.
- Mix the flour with mashed sweet potatoes, while pouring sugar water.
- You may no need to used all of the water, after the dough are moist and hold together you can stop to pour the water, so just pour it little by little, to avoid mushy dough.
- After the dough hold together, put inside the butter, knead the dough until soft, elastic and un-sticky. It may need at least 10-15 minute to knead into soft, un-sticky dough (yeah this artisan bread is work of love *sigh)
- After the dough are soft and un-sticky, let it rest for 1 hour, put it in big bowl and cover it with clean dishcloth.
- After 1 hour and the dough are rising, punch the dough, then it ready to roll.
- Rolling it out into 1cm thickness, smeared it with butter, then scatter the brown sugar then sprinkle the dough with ground cinnamon.
- Roll the dough, then slice it as your preference, mine are approximately 10cm long.
- Let the dough rest again for 15-20 minute.
- Pre-heat the oven for 180 degree celsius.
- After the oven are really hot, put the dough in and baked for 16-18 minute.
- Taking it out from oven, then smeared the bread with vegan butter, this will make the bread shiny appetising.
- Ready to Enjoyyy
- Mix the dry ingredient together, and slowly pour the warm water little by little (you may not need all of them), mixing trough the dough until combine, then put inside the vegan butter, the dough will sticky and wet, but be patience, you will get there.
- The rest process, you can take a look the step 4 above until finish.
- The main different is how you treat and mix the ingredient in very first step, for the rest are no different. I already tried both method, all are work for me. This second step is more lazy way, except the 10-15 minute kneading. I also knock my dough hard into my kitchen counter, it will make the dough got elastic very quick and more satisfying (if you have a bad day or you angry, making this dough will help you to get through it *hehe)
NOTE: The texture of purple sweet potatoes and regular orange sweet potatoes are different, orange sweet potatoes are more moist and watery, so you need to watch out your liquid, just pour it little by little and you can add more flour gradually maximum 1/2 cup, until the dough are manageable to knead, it will be still sticky, but as you continue kneading and knock it, it will got elastic, light, light, soft and un-sticky.
5 Comments Add yours
oh wow! They look absolutely beautiful! You just earned a new follower x
Owww woww thank you 😍, I hope you enjoy my clumsy writing 😀..
Wow! Looks fantastic! I’ll have to give this idea a try.
Please try 😍😍
LikeLiked by 1 person