Now you must be curious what is “Mawut” meaning, let me introduce you, Mawut are derived from Javanese that have a meaning as chaotic (my origin, I am from Javanese tribe in east Java, Indonesian). This dishes are chaotic for me *hehe, it is mix of noodle and rice then being fried, I enjoy it a lot during my college time. So to have it again right in the moment are bringing a lot of memories.
I rarely find this dishes outside east Java, not even in Jakarta, I dare to say that this dishes are particularly come from east Java. Since there are bunch of Nasi Goreng recipe across Indonesia. I tried to collect some old memories to re-create this recipe and I need to do it in traditional way as much as I could.
Traditionally this dishes are cooked with really high heat in a big wok, it creating hot smoky flavour, one of flavour I love in a dishes. To replicate this, I used some of sesame oil, I did able to used high heat, but big hot wok are hard to replicate. Traditionally, street vendor are not using sesame oil, since back in my origin, sesame oil are associate with Chinese cuisine. But the rest I am doing the same way, I grind my spice into paste and serve it slightly hot, but you can used red paprika to replicate vibrant red “Mawut”, if you not really into spicy.
I would like to ask you re-visit my old memories, would you?
MAWUT (MIX FRIED RICE AND NOODLE) – VEGAN VERSION
SERVE 2 portion
Spice Paste (blend all ingredient below into paste, this below are based for Traditional fried rice spice blend)
- 3 red chilli, seed out (if you not into spicy, you can replace the chilli with half of red paprika)
- 1 medium size French shallot
- 2 garlic clove
- 1-2 bird eye chilli
- 3-4 cabbage leaves, slice it rough
- 1 plate of cold cooked basmati rice
- 100 gram noodle, that already cooked (boiled it in hot water, after al dente, shock them with really cold water, to create chewy noodle texture)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1-2 tbs sweet soy sauce
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 spring onion, slice it
- Slice tomatoes
- Slice cabbage
- Slice cucumber
- In big pan and high heat, put inside the vegetable oil and spice paste, sautéed until fragrance.
- After the spice mix are fragrance put inside the rice, noodle and cabbage leaves, season with all the seasoning (salt, sugar, sesame oil, sweet soy sauce and white pepper).
- Mixing through all of them (Really need a hard work for this part, but it is all worthy).
- After everything are mixing through, just let them sit for 2-3 minute in the high heat, continue stirring and keep an eye on it.
- Lastly before taking it off from the heat, sprinkle it with spring onion.
- Serve it with slice tomatoes, cucumber and cabbage.