I consider this meal as one of Sundanese recipe, Sunda are one of Indonesian tribe that sit in a west of Java island. Sundanese meal are one of my favourite for it freshness, and they used raw vegetable a lot as a side dishes almost similar to salad only we used different kind of leaves and condiment.
The sambal itself, there are a lot kind of sambal we devour as our main part of a dishes, there are raw sambal (sambal with raw ingredient, usually we fried sambal ingredient before we grind it, to mellow spiciness from the chilli), fresh grind sambal (sambal dadak), sambal terasi (sambal with shrimp paste), Sambal bawang, and I think a lot more sambal that sometime I also not able to identified it *haha, too many.
Eating this way is more like party to me, because a lot of component in my plate, even though if we look closely one by one, actually each component are really humble and cheap, but to putting it together, hmm, I can live this way for the rest of my life and I am happy.
So, lets drive with me into sundanese rice fields
FRIED TOFU WITH LEMON GRASS AND SWEET SOY SAUCE
Serve 2-3 portion as a condiment
- 150 gram of fried tofu
- 2 spring onion, slice it rough
- 1 banana shallot, slice it
- 1/2 onion, slice it fine
- 2 garlic cloves, slice it
- 2 green chilli, slice
- 2 lemon grass, slice it
- 3 slice of galangal
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 1 cube organic vegetable stock powder (if you are not into this ingredient, replace it with 1 tsp sea salt and 1 tsp of brown sugar)
- 2 tbs sweet soy sauce
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- In medium size pan and medium high heat, put inside vegetable oil, galangal, shallot, onion, garlic cloves, green chilli and lemon grass, sautéed them until super fragrance.
- After the spices are fragrance, put inside the fried tofu, and season with vegetable stock, soy sauce and sweet soy sauce, Mix them through until fried tofu are coating with sweet soy sauce. Give a taste and adjust it according your preference. Lastly sprinkle with spring onion.
- Ready to serve
- I serve mine with cucumber, blanch of bitter mustard leaves, raw thai baby egg plant. Also with sambal and fried rice cracker.