I am so exciting to write about this story, I think winter come early in my kitchen, as I’m intuitively feasting on everything comfort and warm. This dishes are warm, with subtle star anise flavour, I used my own vegan bouillon that I’ve already posted before, surprisingly the sauce are have subtle beef flavour *sigh, also soft smokiness from the tofu.
I used smoke tofu, but you can used any firm tofu, this smoke tofu are more firmer, springy and chewy compare to normal firm tofu, it add another layer of soft smokiness into the dishes. Please if you can find any smoke tofu, used one.
For the broth or sauce I used almond milk, the nuttiness and the sweetness are balancing the overall flavour, so you got almost all layer you want, warm, savoury, subtle sweetness, smokiness, but no bitterness, unless if you bite the tarragon, since the tarragon alone are bittersweet and warm. But you can used the plant based milk of your preference.
Also for the mushroom, you always can change it according of your preference, I just have champignon in my fridge, although usually by the end of September we have a bunch of chanterelle here *ouwhh another excitement.
I just learn trick, on how to create juicy, savoury, delicious mushroom, that is don’t over-crowd the mushroom when you sautéed them.
TOFU AND CHAMPIGNON MUSHROOM IN TARRAGON SAUCE
SERVE 1 portion (selfish portion)
- 1 handfull slice champignon mushroom
- 125 gram firm tofu (find a smoke one if any), dice them
- 1 spring of tarragon, just chop it rough
- 2 garlic, crush and chop it rough
- 100ml almond milk
- 1/2 tsp vegan bouillon or you can used nutritional yeast even-though the taste are quite different
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- On medium pan and medium heat, put inside the oil and sautéed the tofu until golden brown, take out and set aside.
- In the same pan put inside the mushroom and don’t over crowded, flip it so the both side get browning and smoky, then get the garlic in.
- Sautéed for only more less 1 minute, then let the sautéed tofu in.
- Quickly put inside the milk, season with sea salt, pepper, bouillon and spring tarragon.
- Take out from the heat when the milk are thicken.
- Ready to serve, you can serve it with freshly toasted bread. Ummm yum