Finally I made this, I always wondering how it taste, to have it by myself. Maybe not as authentic as the beef version, but the smoky paprika, the exotic spices, fresh tomatoes, the fragrance of oregano, I serve it with avocado and the creaminess, hmm, I just love it, yet again I made it with tempeh, one of my favourite ingredient, which is it made some edgy interesting slightly bitter flavour. I don’t add any black bean, because I don’t have it in hand, if you want you can add it to yours.
I thought the taste will be strong and intense, turn out the spices are quite blend beautifully together and create this mellowness flavour. The tempeh itself, create some interesting flavour, I have this ages tempeh, when you store tempe in a fridge for more than 2 days, that is considering ages tempe, since the flavour will be quit change, just like cheese (if you want your tempeh taste fresh keep it in a freezer). My mother used to do this, intentionally ageing the tempe to get the flavour to infuse some stew or Indonesian traditional curry.
Do you exciting as I am? shall we?
MY VEGAN CHILLI TEMPEH
SERVE 3-4 small personal portion
- 250 gram tempe, crumble it, pinch it rough and not necessary in the same size
- 1 shallot, chop it rough
- 2 garlic, chop it rough
- 1 jalapeño, slice it rough
- 2 red chilli, slice it rough, seed out if you want to
- 1 small onion, chop it rough
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp smoke spicy paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp vegan veggie bouillon or you can add some nutritional yeast
- 2 small tomatoes, chop it
- 150 ml tomatoes puree
- 50 ml water
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2-4 tbs vegetable oil
- In medium pan and medium heat, put 2 tbs of vegetable oil in, then put inside the tempeh, stir the tempeh until golden brown, season with pinch of sea salt and pepper, then set aside.
- In medium pot and medium heat, put inside the rest of vegetable oil, sautéed the onion, shallot, garlic, Jalapeño and red chilli just until soft ( I called this the based)
- After the based are soft, put inside chop tomatoes, tempeh and tomatoes puree, stir it well. Then put inside the water, simmer it.
- After the soup are bubbling away, put inside all the spices and seasoning, let it sit until the broth are thicken. Don’t forget to give it a taste and adjust it according your preference.
- After the broth are thicken, take it out from the heat and ready to serve.
- I serve mine with slice of avocado and a lot of hot chilli powder.