I think, I need to declare for my favourite winter meal, SOUP, any form of it, I would be delight to diving into it. This time is tomatoes soup, this is my first time though to make this such combination, I make it light because I don’t know what to expect and how it turn. Turn out it is so lovely.
I basically mix everything that I able to see in my sight, and I should warn you, that this recipe are carb over carb. But don’t be so guilty, it is winter, what can we do other than warm our tummy and burning calorie *my excuse hehe.
I seasoned the soup with Italian mix herb, I don’t exactly know in detail what in it (too many herb and spice) but I think you can find the bottle one easily. I do some Italian basic holy trinity too, that is “soffrito” which contain dice onion, celery and carrot, for the rest I free my mind to put whatever I have, you also can do the same thing too. One odd ingredient that I add is garbanzo or chickpeas which add some nutty and creamy texture. Also to serve I mix up some other odds ingredient, that is avocado, dice tomatoes and parsley leaves, also season with generous salt and Italian mix herb.
For the “Soffrito” I used sweet onion, instead of regular yellow onion. Yellow onion is too sharp for my stomach to take, as I have gastritis and sharpness from the onion will trigger the pain. You can used yellow onion like Soffrito traditional recipe, but I love the mellow sweetness result from the sweet onion.
SO let’s diving into this comfort blanket.
LIGHT HEARTY TOMATOES SOUP
Serve 3-4 small portion
- 1 sweet onion, dice
- 2 small carrot, dice
- 2 celery stalk, dice
- 1 big potatoes, dice it small
- 1 bayleaf
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/2 cup dice tomatoes (I used from can hehe, with skin remove)
- 1/2 cup your favourite pasta (I used farfalle)
- 1500ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil (To sautéed the soffrito I choose extra virgin for the depth of flavour)
- 1 tsp mix Italian seasoning
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Avocado relish (Mixed everything before serve)
- 1 avocado, dice
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes, quarter
- 2 stalk of flat parsley, chop fine
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- Generous pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp Mix Italian seasoning
- In medium size pot and medium hight heat, put inside the extra virgin olive oil, don’t wait until too hot put inside dice onion, celery and carrot, sautéed until fragrance and the onion become translucent.
- After the Soffrito are fragrance, put inside dice potatoes and the vegetable stock, continue to cooked until the potatoes are soft.
- Then put inside chickpeas, dice tomatoes and pasta, put the rest seasoning inside (sea salt, pepper, mix herb and bayleaf).
- Continue to cooked until the flavour are beautifully hold each other and the stock are bubbling away. Don’t forget to give a taste and corrected according your preference.
- Ready to serve
- Serve with avocado relish.