Ginger and shiitake are heaven combination. I have no idea what to have for lunch, all I see in my counter was ginger, garlic, some sweet onion and shiitake mushroom, so I was thinking to make my classic “no brainer” lunch hehe. Even though the idea are some old-same old, still I hate to have repetition on my food hehe.
So this is what I do, I add some celery stalk like what My mom did, add a good dash of smoke liquid, and boom it was like flavour bomb. I sautéed the basic seasoning by mixing sesame oil and virgin olive oil for deep bold flavour.
My daughter loving it, we used to have this similar of dishes in some asian healthy shop in our neighborhood but she said mom version is way far better, suddenly lifting my mood *lol. For sometime I always have udon noodle in my house, since it quick and even more easier to cooked than ramen *lazy ass hehe, and it’s taste good too, I almost cooked it on everything.
So here it is
SMOKY GINGER FRIED UDON
- 1 thumb size of ginger, slice (your toe size okay, not your thumb finger *lol)
- 3 fat garlic, crush and chop
- 1/2 big sweet onion, slice
- 600 gram udon, soaked in warm water and rinse 2 times
- 50 gram smoke tofu (skip if you don’t have it, it elevate the flavour, I used it for flavouring and added protein)
- 4-5 fat shiitake, slice it
- 1 stalk celery, slice
- 1 tbs liquid smoke
- 3 tbs sweet soy sauce
- 1 tbs vegetarian stir fried sauce
- 1/2 tsp vegetable bouillon
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 1 tbs virgin olive oil
- Roasted sesame seed to serve-optional
- Chilli flake to serve-optional
- In medium pan and high heat, put inside the sesame oil, garlic and sweet onion, sautéed until the sweet onion are soft sweaty and fragrance. Continue to put in shiitake mushroom, cooked until shiitake are soft, if you can manage to have it char that even more better (but you need to keep an eye on it, don’t let the other seasoning getting burned).
- Put in the udon mushroom and all the sauce in (vegetarian stir fry sauce, sweet soy sauce, bouillon, liquid smoke) stirred it well, lastly put in the celery stalk and smoke tofu, continue to cooked until the sauce coating the udon well.
- If the udon are shiny beautifully coated by the sauce, take it out from the heat and ready to serve.
- I serve mine with roasted sesame seed and chilli flake. You can also put some slice of spring onion for extra peppery flavour, But I don’t have in hand.