Sometime after too much comfort, I want to have some snap of freshness. My comfort food include heavy creamy pasta, another creamy meal, carb over carb and then Soup that consist a lot of coconut milk. Greasy oily food or greasy snacking. My body like asking for some break.
I want to make this snack from sometime ago, usually I would add some wakame or seaweed that used for salad. But this time I don’t have them, only fresh cucumber that accessible for me. So optimise thing I got in hand.
I am maybe trying to be a bit fancy here, for this recipe I used Japanese soy sauce. My friend brought it for me sometime ago. Before I did mix the dressing, I gave it a bit tried, it was rich with flavour, super distinctive compare to normal soy sauce, there are so many facet of flavour which very intriguing. The good thing is, cucumber are like blank canvas, in my opinion, neutral fresh flavour which could carried extra richness of other ingredients.
For this salad, I put some basic things, basic things for salad, my only twist are I used sweet spicy Thai chilli sauce. There are hint of spicy, sour and sweet from the chilli sauce, freshly bitter from cilantro leaves, salty edgy from soy sauce and smokey flavour from the sesame oil. Basically complexity of Asian flavour.
So let’s cooked.
- 2 Medium size cucumber, slice it, not necessarily thin, just slice it as you prefer.
- 4-5 stalked of cilantro, take the leaves just as it is, no need to chopped it. Store the stalk for later, it delicious for soup.
- Roasted sesame seed to serve
For the dressing:
- 1 tbs soy sauce
- 3 tbs sweet spicy chilli sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil (since I used this oil only to infused the salad, but you can freely add more)
Note: If you want, you can add fried onion as a topping.
- In one medium size bowl mix the dressing, mixing it thoroughly.
- After the dressing are thoroughly mix, put inside the cucumber, then again mixing it well.
- Ready to serve, sprinkle with cilantro leaves and roasted sesame seed. If you want add some fried onion.