I told you, I love fried rice and I will exploit it as much as it is possible, and this is are one of my exploit exploration. The fact this recipe are create base on leftover are even winning for me, I have leftover sautéed green bean and carrot, leftover rice and few seaweed sheet.
I first make this recipe in late afternoon, didn’t have much energy to cooked new dishes, only leftover from breakfast and lunch in earlier morning, so I did the best, make some Nasi goreng, since who able to resist some nasi goreng? since it was turn super good, I recreate it again in the next morning from scratch with fresh ingredient. Here was some of the ingredient.
Only simple and hearty ingredient, but there is one ingredient that I consider it as a sin, I used tomatoes ketchup *sigh, what? it was delicious in this recipe *haha, that is the reason why I named this recipe after it. The overall taste was like super light Korean Bimbimbab, it is mix rice vegetable with spicy gochujang paste, mine are milder, with almost similar concept.
What I love was crusty rice in the bottom of the pan, since the rice was moisture enough, so it create crusty clump of delicious rice, not exactly the same as regular fried rice.
Lets cooks now, you can reused your leftover stir fried if you have any. And add the rest ingredient.
TOMATOES FRIED RICE
SERVE 3 medium portion
- 2 medium bowl of cold rice
- 1 big carrot, slice it julienne
- Handful of green bean, slice it according your preference
- 3 garlic clove, mince it
- 1 onion, chop it, I used French shallot
- 1 celery stalk, separate the leaf and stalk, slice it fine
- 2 spring onion, separate the white and green part, the white are to be sautéed
- 2-3 table spoon tomatoes ketchup
- 2-3 table spoon sweet soy sauce
- 2 tbs light soy sauce
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 1 tsp of brown sugar
- Additional sea salt if necessary
- 1 tsp of fresh grind white or black pepper, choose black pepper if you want some boldness
- 5 – 8 small sheet of salty sea weed
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
Note : You can also add some more vegetable according your preference, such as cabbage, bean sprout or any vegetable you want.
- In big hot pan and medium high heat, put inside the vegetable oil, garlic, shallot/onion, green bean, celery stalk, carrot and white part of spring onion. Sautéed until green bean and carrot are soft, sprinkle with pinch of salt to avoid the garlic burning, pinch of salt will sweeten the onion and sweat it.
- After all the vegetable are ready and soft put inside the rice. When you put the rice in, it is time you change the game of fire. The secret of delicious Nasi goreng is high heat, to emerge the smoky flavour.
- Once the Rice in, put all the seasoning, tomatoes ketchup, sweet soy sauce, light soy sauce, sesame oil, black pepper and brown sugar, mix it through, and stir it really well.
- Give a taste, in case you need some additional sea salt.
- When all the taste are balance, sweet, salty, a bit sour and peppery married together, then put inside the seaweed, by shredded roughly. Then stir it well.
- Put some time in a heat, but keep an eye on it, when you stir it, you will notice some browning rice from the bottom of the pan, that is gold, folded and stir it again.
- Lastly sprinkle with celery leaves and green part of spring onion. Stir one more time and Off from the heat.
- Enjoy it HOT