I miss my mom, and this is my approach of remedy, by cooking from my childhood memories. This was humble, cheap food that I love to enjoy during my childhood, just fried tofu in runny peanut sweet soy sauce. When my mom have some guest came over, she often cooking this dishes.
Originally this dishes was only serve with blanch of bean sprout, cucumber, a lot of celery leave, fried tofu and the peanut sauce. The only effort you need to make for this dishes is make a peanut sauce and fried the tofu. Also you can store some leftover peanut sauce in a fridge and you can re-used it as gado-gado sauce or you can pour it in a bowl of mix vegetable salad, hmm it is delicious.
Therefore, I made some twist from the original recipe by mixing the nut, I am not using 100 percent peanut but put half and half with hazelnut. Hazelnut are cheap in Madrid, but you can also choose your preference, any nut are welcome to add some edge, this hazelnut create some creamy and fragrance, remind me of Nutella *sigh
So, Shall we? Off to a kitchen
TOFU IN SWEET SOY SAUCE – INDONESIAN TAHU KECAP
PEANUT SAUCE (blender all the ingredient below, then cooked it in low heat until bubbling away)
- 1/2 cup roasted peanut (or you can pan fried the nut until fragrance and cooked)
- 1/2 cup roasted hazelnut
- 2 garlic cloves
- 5 kaffir lime leaves
- 500 ml water
- 1-2 tsp sea salt
- 3 tbs brown sugar
- 1-2 red chilli, seed out if you are not fan of spicy
- 250 gram tofu, cube it in bite size, fried it until golden brown (if you want to give the tofu a bit of flavour, soak tofu in mince garlic and salt water. Mince garlic, add some generous pinch of salt, add few table spoon of water then add the tofu. This my mom way to give flavouring)
- Slice of iceberg lettuce as much as you want
- 1-2 cucumber, dice it
- Blanch of bean sprout as much as you want
- Slice of celery leaves
- 1/4 cup of sweet soy sauce to 1/2 cup of peanut sauce from recipe above
- A lot of fried onion
- Handfull of roasted peanut to serve
- 1 bowl warm rice to serve
- Take 1/2 cup of cooked peanut sauce, mix it with 1/2 cup of sweet soy sauce, the consistency should be runny. Sprinkle with fried onion and slice of celery leaves.
- In big plate, you can put rice or just the vegetables. Put the tofu, vegetables in, pour it with the sauce, sprinkle with extra fried onion, slice of celery leaves and roasted peanut.
- That’s all ready to serve.
- You can keep any extra of peanut sauce in a fridge, you can used it as a dressing for your salad.