I am sorry for disappearing a while, but just feel so happy to write back (I am just normal person with chaotic life *sigh hehe). Madrid been gloomy for these last days, raining all day and night, even though that is okay for me, I just need food to comfort me.
This last weekend my girl friend were came to visit me, sit with me, to enjoy the evening and play with my hyperactive kids, also eating some food. Then this dessert came into my mind, dessert that usually cooked by my mother in hard rainy days or when I got sick, truly definition of comfort food, to turn dark moment into light *hehe.
And the fact that need quite little effort and few ingredient to make this dessert are another heaven reason. But I make little improvised than the traditional version by adding some fresh cube cut mango, to add some freshness, inspired by Thai mango sticky rice.
I need to relaxed my muscle, so shall we?
MUNG BEAN AND STICKY RICE PORRIDGE
Serve 2 portion
FOR THE PORRIDGE
- 1/4 cup mung bean (you can replace with cooked red kidney bean if you have difficulty to find Mung bean, change into 1/2 cup cooked red kidney bean)
- 1/2 cup sticky rice
- 500-750 ml water (you might not used all the water, all depend on the texture of porridge you’d like, for some crunchy you just need less water, for soft texture you can used all the water, just add them gradually)
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2-3 tbsp white sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
FOR THE SAUCE
- 100 ml thick coconut milk
- pinch of sea salt
Another ingredient: you can add slice of mango or strawberry into this sweet porridge
- In medium size pot, put inside clean Mung bean and sticky rice then add 500ml water, cooked them in medium high heat. As I mention above, you might not used all the water, all depend on the texture of porridge you’d like, for some crunchy you just need less water, for soft texture you can used all the water, just add them gradually.
- If yo used cooked red kidney bean, add the bean after the sticky rice are soft.
- Cooked the Mung bean and sticky rice into your favourite level of texture, add water if you want the porridge very soft and silky.
- After Mung bean and sticky rice are soft, add the sugar and vanilla extract, stir until the sugar dissolve then take out from the heat.
- For the sauce, in small sauce pan, cooked the coconut milk and pinch of salt until bubbling away, then take it out from the heat.
- The serve, in bowl, take a couple spoon of the porridge then pour generously the sauce, add some slice of mango or strawberry.
- For mine, I also sprinkle with grind of hazelnut and peanut, but I skip the coconut milk sauce.