For no reason I feel quite sad this afternoon (I am such of person with teaspoon understanding of my own emotion *sigh), then making dessert I think is quite good idea. Even though, I am not dessert person, this pastry was brought a lot of memories, one of my simple favourite snack, with just Banana-Chocolate and Pastry, In Indonesia we called it, pisang coklat, literally meaning Banana Chocolate.
Back in Indonesia, we have buttery pastry, with strong taste and smell of butter. Really easy to find a good shop that sell this kind of dessert, so I don’t really bother to make it myself , even though to make it are dead easy and do not need much ingredient as long as you have the pastry (I consider this as my traditional heritage, since I don’t find it so far outside Indonesia).
Back in Indonesia we used puff pastry, then add certain type of Banana, grater chocolate and egg wash before it goes to the oven (we have a lot of banana variety back there, each one have different purpose, for bake, fried, steam, or just eat it as it is).
Then in this recipe I want to add my own touch by add sprinkle of cinnamon powder, I love cinnamon so much, I would add it in anything if possible. I would relied the sweetness of this dessert by choosing ripe banana, it will turn soft and sweet, but if you want even more sweet you can add sprinkle of sugar after the egg wash.
Honestly this dessert are really suit for lazy person as I am, quick snack for tea time, or un-fuzzy breakfast with simple flavour, count me in. shall we?
CHOCOLATE BANANA PASTRY
SERVE 8-10 small dessert
- 1 puff pastry sheet (cut it into 8-10, depend on how big your pastry sheet), I choose the vegan one, with vegetable base butter pastry.
- 2 big banana,slice it into 8-10 small pieces
- 48-60 chocolate chip button, 5-6 button per pieces, or you can simple grate your favourite chocolate bar, and give to each one of pastry as much as you wish.
- 1 egg, whisk for egg wash
- Cinnamon powder for sprinkle
- Caster sugar — optional
- Pre-heat your oven 190 degree celsius. while you wait the heat of the oven, prepare your pastry.
- Cut your pastry sheet into 8-10 pieces, depend on how big you want for each one.
- Put the small banana into the slice of pastry sprinkle with chocolate and cinnamon, or you can simply put the chocolate chip button.
- Folded the pastry until the banana and chocolate are covered properly and secure the edge by pressing it with fork, it is like how to make hand pies.
- Put the egg wash on top of each pastry and sprinkle with caster sugar if you want to add some more sweet.
- Bake it for 18-20 minute into hot oven, depend on the heat of your oven really. Take it out when it release the fragrance and it turn golden.
- It is ready, enjoy with some hot tea, Yumm