I think you already know how lazy I am hehe. The pesto itself, I used from the jar (this is not Italian version pesto, it is French pesto which only used basil, oil and lemon without cheese, so it is super light), it was a gift from my husband *sigh, but you also can used home made one using your favourite recipe. Or you can use mine here Whole wheat toast and Avocado Pesto or here Cilantro Pesto. There are a bunch recipe pesto out there, But mine are most basic one.
I prepare this as a lunch, but I think consider how light, healthy and easy this recipe are, you can devour it in anytime you prefer. All you need to do is browning the tofu, my suggestion is, always store pesto in your fridge as it is versatile and quick fix for working day.
Very few ingredient to make this recipe, as long as you already have the pesto, but even though you don’t have one, just need few minute to make a good pesto.
TOFU IN PESTO
SERVE 1 small portion
- 100 gram firm tofu, cube it
- 2 tbs pesto (you can used your favourite recipe)
- 1-2 tbs vegetable base butter
- 1/2 avocado to serve
- 1 tsp chilli flake to serve
Note: if you have extra time, soak the cube tofu in salted and garlicky water before fried it. 1/2 cup water, minced 2 garlic clove, and 1/2 tsp sea salt, stir it. Soaked the tofu for 10-15 minute. Then the Tofu ready to used .
- In medium pan, and medium heat, put inside the vegan butter until it melted.
- Put inside the tofu, fried until it slightly golden brown and soft.
- Mix the tofu and pesto until all the tofu are beautifully coated
- Ready to serve, I serve mine with slice avocado and sprinkle of chilli flake. I was thinking to serve it with salad leaves, but I don’t think the texture of the salad matched with the softness of the tofu, so I serve it with avocado instead.