Suddenly I miss to have this snack, I usually don’t do this recipe by myself, as it quite intricate for me, labour of love, and I usually love simple, quick recipe. But this work are worth for every dedicate minute. Even if you want, you can have shortcut here and there, I will suggest later.
This snack are quite traditional snack for Indonesian, it is almost similar to Cornish pasties or it is look like Spanish empanada, only we have different filling, which mostly vegetable and glass noodle, you can add some shredded chicken or boiled egg though. My kids and my husband love this snack, they can devour it in minute, fastest than the time to made it *sigh.
It is light in taste and fresh from the vegetable that we used as a filling. The skin is almost similar to pie crust, only we have some slightly different ingredient, and there are no specific care to handle the skin, as you have to be really gentle on make pie crust.
And this time, luckily I have some picture on how to craft the pastel. I Hope you are going to enjoy this recipe.
SERVE 20 Small pastel
- 250gram all purpose flour
- 50 gram margarine (vegetable based butter, or you can used normal butter)
- 30 ml vegetable oil
- 80 ml water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper to taste
- Melted the margarine and the vegetable oil, set aside
- Mix the flour, salt and pepper
- Put inside the melted margarine into the flour mixture, continue with the water. Mix until it formed dough, set aside and let it rest for 15 minute.
- After the dough are rest for 15 minute, make small ball like this below picture, not necessarily perfect ball, just divide it into small portion.
- And it is ready to have some filling, I will give the step by step later.
NOTE : You can also used “ready to used” pie crust or in Spain you can used empanada pastry sheet.
SERVE 20 + pastel filling
- 2 small carrot, dice it fine
- 1 medium potatoes, dice it small
- 1 celery stalk, dice it small
- 2 garlic, chop it fine
- 1 shallot or 1/2 medium onion, chop it fine
- 11/2 cup cooked rice noodle
- pepper and salt to taste
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1-2 stalk celery leaves, chop it fine
- In Medium pan put inside almost all ingredient, except rice noodle. Cooked on medium heat, until soft and beautifully sweet then put inside the rice noodle, continue to stir until it mixed well.
- Don’t forget to give it a taste, and adjust the salt according to your preference. Lastly, sprinkle with chop celery leaves.
- Ready to used as a filling.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE
- Flatten the small ball pastry skin
- Put inside the filling for 1 table spoon
- Folded the pastry until it formed half moon
- Pinch and secure the edge of pastry
- From here you can decorate the edge using fork or you can as mine, which is basically pinch and folded as you done with the pie crust.
- After it ready, fried it in the hot oil until golden brown. You can serve it with sweet spicy chilli sauce. So Yumm