I want something warm and nutty creamy but also something that will give me virtual warm blanket that last at least minimum for an hour, I am posting bandrek recipe before, the recipe are here https://mykitchenadventurediary.com/2017/12/09/ginger-and-lemon-grass-potion-indonesian-comfort-drink/ .
Bandrek are basically warm drink from West Java Indonesia, it is made from Indonesian palm sugar, ginger and lemon grass, I love it, it is suitable during biting cold winter, nourishing yet delicious, if you got cold or need some pleasure and want some relieved from cold stomach, nose block, itchy throat and you want something natural to tame it, this recipe are the answer hehe, no joking.
Bajigur are basically also warm drink from West Java Indonesia, it is also made from Indonesia palm sugar, the different are the used of coconut milk with pinch of salt. This drink is made only to please your palette and your stomach, recreational drink I’d called.
SO this recipe are the marriage between them, I want to please my palette and comforting my stomach. In this recipe you can used brown sugar instead of Indonesian palm sugar, but if you can find any palm sugar, please do used it, I think natural palm sugar have a tendency of less sweet compare to brown sugar, and I rather love less sweet, but I think everything are matter of preference.
I always treasure Indonesian palm sugar, because I couldn’t find it here so far, so when any of my friend bring it from my far away home, it is my treasure. What is it, why it is so special, I would say it is more to savoury sweet than only sugar sweet, there are salty trace from the sugar, even if you just eat it as it is, it wont be overwhelmingly sweet, and would be close with salty savoury flavour. To do the trick, put generous pinch of sea salt flake into the potion (sea salt flake are less salty compare to ground sea salt, in my point of view).
So, let’s be comfortable during this Autumn-Winter, shall we?
BANDREK-BAJIGUR (GINGER AND LEMONGRASS POTION WITH COCONUT MILK)
Serve 4-5 generous serving
- 1 cup brown sugar, adjust it as you please. I am used 2 block of Indonesian palm sugar approximately 100 gram and 1/2 cup unrefined sugar.
- 1/2 cup unrefined sugar — optional
- 1000ml water
- 250ml thick coconut milk
- 1 knot Pandan leaves – replace it with 2 tsp vanilla extract if you don’t have it in hand
- 1 Big chunk of ginger, slice it
- 1 lemon grass, crush the white part
- 1 pinch of sea salt flake
- In big pot and medium heat, put all ingredient together except the coconut milk, to avoiding split (it is fat, and splitting coconut milk is unpleasant).
- Bring the potion into boiled, give a taste and adjust it according your preference.
- Lastly put inside the coconut milk, and bring it back to boiled then taking it out from the heat.
- Ready to enjoy, enjoy while it hot. When it turn cold you able to reheat it, just don’t reach boiled, or else the coconut milk are going to split.
This how I enjoy it, on biting cold autumn morning, nothing can beat it. I enjoy it with grilled banana, yum yum.