This season I am going bubbling non stop about autumn, and I am sorry. It is really autumn when you able to sight pumpkin anywhere you go, and you can not help to not pick one of them and serve it in your table, or maybe this is only in my case. I can not control myself to not buy one of these seasonal, cheap and fresh vegetable when they are in season. Even though eventually I am going to delay myself to cooked it *sigh, until the time of “You have to cook it now, or you going to waste it” come in to my eyes. So super hyperbolic hehe. But it is true, this butternut squash are sitting for ages in my kitchen, I want to have some soup but just keep delay it.
And finally, the time are come. This recipe are dead easy and only required few ingredient, simple for me also have a meaning if I don’t need to supervised the cooking process all the time, only don’t fall a sleep hehe.
I used cream made from coconut, I usually used cream from soy or oat based, and the coconut gave a slightly tropical flavour. I can not find proper smoke paprika in Jakarta, in Madrid luckily I able to find good, artisan one. I already compare the taste between industrial and artisan smoke paprika and the flavour different are huge, so If you have an access into artisan smoke paprika used one, I used spicy one instead of sweet one, to kick my lazy morning ass hehe.
In this recipe to add some freshness, I also used fresh cilantro paste, the blend of spicy warm soup and tangy fresh cilantro are something. I still tried to learn and explored, contradicted flavour and textured, so far no disaster in my kitchen, yet hehe.
So shall we?
SIMPLE BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
SERVE 3-4 small portion
- 500 gram butternut squash, without skin. Cube it quite small to fasten cooking process.
- 1/2 medium size sweet onion
- 2 big garlic cloves
- 1 red chilli, seed in. Slice it rough
- 2 spring onion, only take the white part of it. Keep the green for the cilantro paste
- 500 ml vegetable stock
- 100 ml tick coconut cream
- Sea salt and pepper to season, with generous amount of pepper
- 1 tbs olive oil
Cilantro paste (blend below ingredient together, if you have extra keep it in refrigerator, in bottle with tight lid)
- Bunch hand-full of cilantro, stalk and leaves in
- 1 big garlic clove
- 1 green chilli, seed in
- The leftover of green part spring onion
- 1 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In medium size pot and medium high heat, put inside the onion, garlic, chilli, white part of spring onion. sautéed until fragrance and the garlic slightly golden.
- Put inside the butternut squash, sautéed for a while then put inside the vegetable stock. continue cooking until the squash are soft.
- Season with sea salt and pepper, then continue to put in the coconut cream. Give a taste and corrected accordingly, continue to cooked just until boiled. Take out from the heat, and blend with blender until smooth silky.
- Ready to serve, I drizzle mine with the cilantro paste.
For what it’s left