Actually I am not sure how to called this dessert, is it tart or is it pie or is it something else, whatever, for whatever it is, this are like gathering my favourite food things in one dessert. I love apple cinnamon, I love crusty crust pie (I already ensure it is vegan hehe) and specially I love fig, fig are one of my favourite summer fruit, I always longing for this fruit in season, because of it deliciousness, soft, crunchy sweet, and the oddness that it is technically not fruit.
For the crust I used pie crust, ready to used of course hehe, but feel free if you want to replace it with puff pastry, it would be equally delicious, would only different in texture. it is rustic kind of dessert, not meant to be sophisticated food art, it’s warm comfort autumnal snacking. In case you can not find any fig, you sure able to used only the apple, I think apple are available all year around. Sprinkle with sugar crystal before entering the oven, for extra crusty topping.
Apple, I used mix of golden apple and royal gala, even though for most of dessert recipe that called for apple are used granny smith, I am not fan of granny smith acidity. But to add some more complex flavour I squeeze some lemon juice in the apple mixture, also generous pinch of salt to add another dimension.
Shall we cook?
FIG AND APPLE TART
SERVE 4 generous portion
- 1 sheet pie crust or used your favourite recipe if you’d prefer to, mine are 25cmx20cm in rectangular shape and used any shape you’d prefer.
- 3 medium size golden apple, quarter and slice it 1 cm in a width (or you can do anything you love hehe, break the rule)
- 1 medium size royal gala apple, do same thing as the golden apple
- 1/2 lemon, take 1 tbs of it juice
- 3 spoon of unrefined sugar
- 1 generous pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 7-8 ripen fig, used any varieties of fig you love, slice it
- Pre-heat the oven 180 Celsius degree
- In a big bowl, mix the apple, cinnamon, generous pinch of sea salt and sugar, mix it together, then lastly add the lemon juice, mixing it through.
- In a baking pan, layer it with baking sheet and take in the pie crust, put the apple mixture in the middle.
- Spread the apple mixture, left 5 cm the edge of pie crust to wrap the tart.
- Arrange the fig in the top of tart in 1 layer.
- Wash the edge of the tart with water and sprinkle it with sugar.
- Bake of 15-20m minute until the crust are golden.
- After the crust are golden taking it out from the oven and let it cooled before slice it.
- Ready to serve, unfortunately I don’t have an ice cream, serve with ice cream if you have it in hand.