I create this recipe inspired by my vegan friend, She just back travelling through Asia during summer vacation, so I want to make this for her. As this recipe is one of my favourite dessert, the thing is, the traditional recipe are just need delicate effort and time. so I want to make short cut and see if this are going to work hehe, also a bit change this and that were exciting.
The big different about black and white sticky rice are indeed like black and white haha, yes night and day. Base on my humble experience so far, White sticky rice are more delicate and easy to soften up during the cooking time. While black sticky rice are more tough and crunchy, it also hold really nice texture, the reason I am curious to cooked it in un-conventional way or un-Traditinal way.
For mellowness and suave taste, White sticky rice are perfect, I posted the recipe before here THAI MANGO STICKY RICE, my way of cooking with my own preference. And when, when you look for excitement and texture, black sticky rice are perfect for you, in fact I like it a bit more than white sticky rice, from the un-fuzzy cooking process and the outcome as a dessert (cooking white sticky rice are need more attention).
SO let’s go pack your back and travelling to Thailand, shall we?
MANGO BLACK STICKY RICE
SERVE 1 Generous portion
- 3/4 cup black sticky rice
- 11/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup thick coconut milk
- 2 tbs brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbs vanilla extract or 1 pandan leaves
- Serve with sprinkle of toasted sesame seed
- Put all ingredient together in small sauce pan, cooked it in medium heat. Just leave it until boiled. When the water are reduce, stirring constantly to avoid burning, and continue cooking until all water absorb.
- Serve with slice fresh mango and sprinkle of toasted sesame seed
- The definition of short cut, you done here and ready to dive on this dessert