As a traditional Javanese girl, tempeh is most traditional food ingredient to me, that I hold it close to my heart. In the first year I move to Madrid, I miss it so much but did not had an idea on how to buy it here, and eventually I craft it myself. But later on I found quite abundant vegan shop that sold it, so happy moment for me. Since to made it, even though the ingredient were quite simple and humble, need delicate and care to craft it.
I made this recipe, because I miss tempeh and have to get creative on how to enjoy it. Originally this recipe are cooked with beef, slice thin beef with sharp and glistening sauce. Black pepper sauce recipe are Indonesian food that got really heavy influence from Chinese cooking. Usually in original recipe, it is used soy sauce and oyster sauce, but here I skip the oyster sauce and replace it with sweet soy sauce, it is not completely able to replace the taste of the sea, but the sweetness are keep the balance of the flavour.
To make this recipe are need minimal effort and with few ingredient, this recipe are suitable for hectic weekdays, when you hungry but do not have time to wait, you can enjoy it with steam rice or noodle, or just as it is. Add it with bunch of salad leafs to balancing the sharpness of black pepper sauce.
And here we go
TEMPEH IN BLACK PEPPER SAUCE
SERVE 1 small bowl
- 250 gram tempeh, slice it thin and square or just slice it according your preference
- 1 bell pepper, pick the colour of your favourite, dice it roughly
- Thumb size ginger, slice it or just crush it
- 1 green chilli, you can unseeded or keep the seed in, just do what you love. Slice it
- 2 garlic, chop it roughly
- 1 shallot or small onion, dice it roughly
- 2 tbs sweet soy sauce
- 1 tbs light soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp fresh grind black pepper
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Pinch of sea salt and brown sugar
- 1 spring onion, slice it roughly
- 1-2 tbs vegetable oil
- In medium size pan and medium hight heat, put inside tempeh, sautéed them until golden brown.
- When tempeh are golden brown and luscious, put inside garlic, ginger, green chilli and shallot, just stir them until soft and translucent.
- After garlic, ginger, green chilli and shallot are soft, put dice bell pepper, sweet soy sauce, light sou sauce, sesame oil and black pepper in. Stir them thoroughly until tempeh are coating with the sauce.
- Give a taste, if necessary add sea salt and brown sugar according your preference.
- Lastly, sprinkle with slice of spring onion
- Ready to Enjoy