Let’s talk about dessert, I will post on dessert this whole week, Indonesian dessert in particular. I think being vegan or I rather like being called plant based eater, the movement right now are seriously fast, compare to at least 2 year ago, it is more easier now to find vegan restaurant and vegan ingredient in grocery store.
While for me, being plant based eater, it is more like being back in my childhood, when my mom mostly cooked any vegetable, fruit, legume into very interesting dishes. The humbleness to used any ingredient that available in our backyard is moving me, making me grateful to what I have today. when I looked back, there are a lot of recipe that mouth watering, healthy, delicious that I able to adapt, yet I think it also looking good too.
In this post, my main ingredient is sweet potatoes, Madrid been on bad weather for weeks, I already got cold for week too, I want something warm, sweet, gingery for my cold, there are traditional dessert in Indonesia that called “Wedang ronde”, mine are just inspired by that dessert, I only took the gingery broth and make the mini dumpling in my own version.
In the next post with this basic dumpling, I also write the possibility you will able to make.
Would you like, to come visit me in my childhood village?
GINGERY INDONESIAN MINI DUMPLING SWEET POTATOES DESSERT
Serve 3-4 small bowl
Mini dumpling (basic dumpling)
- 1/2 cup mashes cooked sweet potatoes (you can used purple or orange sweet potatoes and you can boiled or steam it)
- 1 cup sticky rice flour
- 2 tbs white sugar (unrefined)
- pinch of sea salt
- 75ml warm coconut milk
- 1 litre water to cooked the dumpling
- 600ml water
- 4 tbs brown sugar
- 2 tbs white sugar (you may not used all the amount of the sugar or you can add more, just adjust it according your preference)
- 2 big chunk of ginger, slice it
- 1 lemon grass, crush the white part
- 1 stick of cinnamon — optional
Coconut filling (optional, you can put this filling into the dumpling or just omit it)
- 200 gram of dried un-sweeten coconut flake
- 5 tbs brown sugar
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- In medium sauce pan and medium hight heat, put all the ingredient together, cooked until all the coconut milk is absorbed, you need to keep an eye while cooking this, to avoid the coconut flake get burn.
- When all the liquid is absorbed, and the coconut flake becoming golden brown, take it out from the heat, let it cooled and ready to be used as a filling.
- To make the gingery broth is easy peasy. In medium sauce pan and medium high heat, put all the ingredient together, boiling them for 10-15 minute until the broth is heavily infused with the ginger.
- When the broth are brown and gingery, it is ready to used.
Sweet potatoes mini dumpling
- In big bowl, put inside the sweet potatoes, sugar, sticky rice flour and pinch of salt together, slowly pour with warm coconut milk, knead it slowly until forming dough.
- When dough is forming, it is ready to roll, make small ball from the dough, small pinch will make a perfect small dumpling.
- If you want to make some of them with the filling, take some of dough, flatten, and put half of tea spoon coconut filling, then carefully cover the filling with a dough and form a ball.
- To cooked the dumpling, boiled a water (1 litre is enough for this recipe), after the water are boiling put inside the dumpling, when the dumpling are floating into the surface of the water, they are ready and cook.
- Keep the dumpling in cooled water, the water should cover it.
- In a small bowl, take some of dumpling, pour it with gingery broth and if you like, you can sprinkle it the broth with some roasted nut (peanut, almond, hazelnut or any of your preference, but the nut should be roasted to emerge some of smoky flavour)
- Ready to enjoy
You can also enjoy the dumpling that have a coconut filling in another way, we called it “KLEPON” while traditionally klepon have a brown sugar filling, I make mine with coconut filling, but I serve it, as we traditionally do.
We coated the dumpling with savoury coconut flake, how to make it, is easy, take a table or two spoon of dried un-sweeten flake coconut, season with pinch of fine sea salt and it is ready to used.
How to used it, put some dumpling that have a filling in a bowl and sprinkle it with savoury coconut flake, mix until the coconut flake coated the dumpling.