There are so many curry recipe in Asia, it maybe carried the same name, but the main spices mix are all completely different. Let alone in Asia, we in Indonesia have so many different version. I will mention some that I knew, Padang curry and Javanese curry (even in Java itself there are so many version differ by the spices that used, I’d dare to say every household have different recipe).
But here I made Indian version with daring used of exotic spices, but I wouldn’t dare to claim it authenticity, since I used spices mix from the jar *sigh hehehe. I don’t particularly like heavy spices mix, so I just put small amount of the paste just to infuse and have some hint touch of Indian food. Hence “Light” title come from, But I love the hint of this warm bowl Indian curry, not to over power freshness taste of the veggies.
My husband tried to add amount of veggies portion on his daily intake, with that personal request, more than happy to create one for him, and not being picky eater, I could freely create what I please hehe.
What I love about this curry are, I can add anything that accessible for me, any seasonal local ingredient that usually fresh and cheap. Paprika, easy courgette and mushroom. You could create easy one for you.
Here you go
LIGHT COCONUT MILK CURRY
- 1 medium courgette, half, and slice it according your preference
- 1 king oyster mushroom, slice (this one is what I got, you can freely used other mushroom)
- 1/2 paprika, square, or slice according your preference
- 1 shallot, slice it
- Thumb size ginger, crush it
- 1 tsp full of mild Indian curry paste
- Few spring coriander leave to serve (don’t throw the stalk, to put it inside the curry)
- Sea salt, sugar and pepper
- 500 ml light coconut milk
- 700 ml water
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- In medium size pot and medium heat, put inside the vegetable oil, curry paste, shallot and ginger, sautéed until the shallot soft and the curry paste come together with other ingredient.
- After the basic ingredient come together, put inside the water and let it boiled.
- Then put inside all the vegetable and coconut milk. Let is simmer in medium heat.
- After the broth simmering put inside sea salt, sugar and pepper. Then give it a taste, corrected accordingly.
- Lastly put inside the coriander stalk for adding extra fragrance.
- Ready to serve with warm rice and sprinkle of coriander leaves. I add some fried shallot to mine.