I love this inspired Thai Gai Pad Krapow, it is originally come with chicken as it core ingredient. I usually work it with tofu or with tempeh. But I got this vegan mince beef from vegan shop, me and good friend of mine usually go.
Really curious with it flavour, that maybe cooking it with this good amount of fragrance herb, are a bit distort it original flavour, which for me the end result is taste delicious. Fresh, slightly spicy and super savoury. As a note, it work well too with tofu, sear it into crisp chunk of tofu with tender soft inside.
There is no much discussion for this dishes as it “yeah it was super delicious” that I am quite lost in words hahaha, so here are the recipe
VEGAN BEEF IN LEMON BASIL, LIME LEAVES AND LEMON GRASS (INSPIRED BY THAI GAI PAD KRAPOW)
- 150 gram vegan mince beef (can replace it with extra firm tofu, crumble it, sear it for some moment until dried golden outside and soft inside)
- 1 shallot, slice
- 2 small garlic, crush and chop
- 1 lemon gras, slice the white part finely
- 3 to 4 lime leaves, slice it
- Few spring lemon basil (omit if you don’t have in hand, don’t used normal basil because they have different flavour)
- 1 red chilli, deseed and slice it
- 1 tbs flavourless vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp mushroom powder (or 1 tsp vegetarian sauce)
- Salt and pepper
- Sugar (1/2 to 1 tsp)
- In medium heat of medium pan, put inside the shallot, garlic, lemon grass, lime leaves in, sautéed until fragrance.
- After fragrance put inside the mince beef, stir and chop until it form crumble like. Let sit there until the meet change in color.
- Seasoned with salt, pepper and sugar, give it taste, corrected accordingly.
- Lastly put inside the basil, stir for a while and take out from heat.
- Ready to serve with steam rice and fried shallot