Owh we love our fake chicken, me and my daughter specially. I think my children’s are what I called “almost vegan”, I never pushing them into one specific lifestyle, all decision are on them. But to see their preference now, I could assume that, there are possibilities of changing life choice but for now I just happy for them.
One time my son were explaining to me the very behind reason he didn’t want to ate his meat, that day I was stun, when he was explaining that animal are not supposed to be in our plate and eaten, they should be live free. So when he asked what food he eat, tempe, tofu or fake this and that, going to please him, that is why I made tofu lasagna hehe, sorry Italian or hardcore meat eater.
I know that animal make sacrifice for us so we can devour them, hmm, that is also the reason I respect all food in my plate, for all the life we taking to be in our plate, since plant is also living things. I would eat every part of animal with all the respect and gratitude, by mean all part is literally all part, some part that maybe illegal and disgusting for some of you. But I rarely eat them, some time it is like feast and so special for me when have them in my kitchen. I have to remind you that I am not strict vegan, I just prefer to eat food that come from plant based.
In here we have, what me and my daughter called “Fake chicken”, it is so delicious, but yeah it come from soya, it is chicken Heura, I am not sure about the availability this ingredient near you, but you can replace this Heura with mushroom, tofu (fried it first until golden outside soft inside), tempeh or anything in your imagination, with boiled baby potatoes also work wonderful.
So here are the recipe, let’s love our planet, any living soul in it, and treat them respectfully.
- 250 gram plain Heura
- 3 garlic clove, crush and chop roughly
- 1 shallot, slice it
- 1 lemon grass crush it
- 3 to 4 of lime leaves
- 1 tbs sweet soy sauce
- or For replacement of sweet soy sauce, please used 1 tbs soy sauce and 1 tbs maple syrup or agave. If later during the test flavour you find not enough balance of sweetness please add accordingly, because the saltiness of soy sauce could be differ.
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 1 spring onion, to serve
- In medium pan and medium heat, put inside the vegetable oil then garlic, shallot, lime leaves and lemon grass, sautéed until fragrance and the shallot are caramelised but not burned, be-careful with the garlic too.
- When the based of ingredient fragrance, put inside the Heura, sweet soy sauce or the substitute, then sea salt and pepper, be-careful with the sea salt, better to add it gradually, don’t forget to give it a taste if you used the substitute of sweet sauce and you find it is not sweet enough, please add sugar or extra maple syrup or agave.
- Stir the Heura thoroughly, until it golden brown and shiny. Then take out from the heat.
- I serve mine with warm rice, as always hehe, and sprinkle of slice spring onion.