When I want an adventure, on food, here I am, making my adaption of teriyaki sauce with tempeh, at least I am satisfied with the flavour. Back in my home country, we love Japanese food, long before it trendy, there are fast food chain that sell Japanese dishes which all my family loved, it rather healthy for bunch of veggies but still if you consider about the grease, so many salt and sodium that are used, a lot of mayo, pre-made food that usually come from froze, I think to put it in perspective it is quite same with western fast food *hehe.
I tried to be healthy as much I could afford *yeah I am old now, you hear it right, it is not about cost of healthy food, but about how much I would giving up on fatty, nutritional un-balanced food, because sometime living on junk food is too much comfortable for certain people, until they will strike with health problem.
Mostly my food are cheap, like daily kitchen staple, nothing fancy about it. I Usually cooked to rekindled some memories, about my family and friends or certain occasion, there are sentimental value on my food that is maybe why I enjoy them, simple, cheap food *sigh.
So, do you want to have an adventure with me?
TEMPEH TERIYAKI WITH BOILED BOK CHOY
SERVE 1 portion
- 200 gram tempeh, cube it
- 1 bok choy, half
- 2 garlic, chop
- 1/2 onion, chop
- 1 chilli, slice
- 1 thumb size ginger, julienne or you can just slice it
- 3 tbs light soy sauce
- 3 tsp light brown sugar
- 5 tbs water
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- Chop parsley to serve
- Roasted sesame seed to serve
NOTE: If you want some smoky flavour you can add 1 tbs of sesame oil
- In medium pan and medium hight heat, put inside vegetable oil and tempeh, sautéed until tempeh are turn golden.
- Meanwhile, in small pot or sauce pan, boiled water with sea salt, then put inside the Bok Choy, boiled for 3-4 minute, then take it out and shocked them with cold water. Drain them and put it in a serving dishes.
- After the tempeh are turn golden, set aside. In the same pan put inside garlic, onion, chilli and ginger, sautéed until fragrance, then put inside soy sauce, brown sugar and water. Give it a taste, corrected accordingly, add some sea salt if necessary and sprinkle with good amount of pepper.
- Put inside the tempeh, stir them well until the sauce coating it beautifully then pour it into the prepare Bok Choy.
- Serve with sprinkle of roasted sesame seed and parsley, you also can serve them with warm fluffy rice.