I remember living in scarcity when I was kid, so we living on what we earn, not much but enough to keep our hunger quiet. This sense are what keeping me to live in frugality these days, but my mother are good cooked with so little ingredient we had. Until now my mother grow her own veggies, have her own poultry for eggs and meat, learning from goodness old days. My parent will grow anything with their hand anytime they have an opportunity, because the environment also quite harsh back then, sometime we need to sell our goodies in order to survive but I have really good childhood memories.
This stir fried veggies are most humble ingredient we have back then, to be enjoy with warm rice and salted fish, as salted fish for me is quite luxury for now moment living far away from home. This was warm memories for me, like comfort blanket to enjoy in this late autumn, easy to make as well. You maybe able to match them with other protein you love, but I want to keep it simple here.
My twist are, I add some thyme in the recipe, which is oddly enough adding some extra warm and fragrance that enhance the simple flavour in this dishes, I love thyme for it gentle herby flavour, you can add silken tofu to add some luxuries in the dishes if you want to, and skip the rice to enjoy it freshness as it is.
Here what you need.
MY MOM HUMBLE STIR FRIED WITH MY TWIST
- 200gram napa cabbage
- 2 clove of garlic, crush it
- 1/2 onion, chop
- 1 spring onion, chop
- 1 chilli, slice
- 100 gram of cooked corn
- few spring of thyme
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 150ml water
- In medium hight heat and medium pan, put inside vegetable oil, garlic, chilli and onion, sautéed until soft and fragrance.
- Put inside the cabbage and corn, pour the water, cooked until the cabbage soft but still crunchy, season with sea salt and pepper. Give a taste, corrected accordingly.
- Lastly put the thyme in, give the broth to boiled and take out from the heat, we want the thyme to just infuse it, so it not over power the mellowness of the dishes.
- Sprinkle with chop spring onion and ready to serve.