I know at first you might think, whatt?? tomatoes ketchup, but I promise you, I just put a lil bit naughtiness, and I think a bit dose of naughtiness are good for you hehe. I am not implying that tomatoes ketchup are bad, specifically if you made it yourself, despite I don’t understand why everybody loving it so much, including my kids hehe.
This recipe originally are called cap cay or Chinese stir fried, I could’t say that this are authentic Chinese style recipe but in my home country, usually we devour this kind of dishes in Chinese restaurant or Chinese food stall. Basically you could grab any vegetable you have in mind but the seasoning are not quite combo.
It is rainy here, early spring bloom, flower everywhere, too hot and too cold for this season, it is weird weather, so I think this probably weird recipe are fit you.
So shall we?
STIR FRIED VEGETABLE IN TOMATOES KETCHUP
Serve 2-3 portion
- 1/2 flower of cauliflower, slice it as you want, I slice mine in one bite size
- 1/2 small broccoli, slice it in one bite size
- 2 small carrot, slice it
- Handful of sweet peas, trim the edge
- 1/2 sweet onion, slice it rough
- 3 fat garlic, crush and chop
- 2 spring onion, separate white and green part (white is to season, green is to serve or sprinkle it later)
- 1 thumb size ginger, slice it
- 1 stalk celery leaf, slice it rough
- 3 tbs tomatoes ketchup
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp vegetable bouillon powder
- Sea salt and sugar to season
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- 100ml water
Optional: usually we also had cabbage or Napa cabbage, baby corn, bitter mustard leaf and protein such as chicken and meatball, but I just used what I got in hand. You can add it as you pleased.
- In very hot medium size pan and medium heat, put inside the vegetable oil, garlic, sweet onion, ginger and white part of spring onion, sautéed until soft and fragrance.
- Then put inside the broccoli, cauliflower and carrot, sautéed for awhile until smoky and then put inside the water. Continue to cooked until the carrot are a bit soft but still hold some texture.
- Put inside the seasoning, sea salt, tomatoes ketchup, sesame oil, vegetable bouillon and white pepper, continue to cooked. Give it a taste and corrected accordingly.
- Lastly put inside the snap peas and celery leaves.
- At this stage the water are reduce and if everything are please you, take out from the heat.
- Ready to serve.
Note: There are chinese technique to cook used very hight heat, of you dare enough you can used this method, but you can not leave your pan and keep an eye on it, you need to stir quick and regularly in order to distribute the heat. As a result, you will got crunchy, shiny and delicious meal. It is also quick.