The really star of this post are the broth. Usually I will make them in big batch and store it in fridge for easy used later. Even with very humble vegetable, the broth will bring the brightest tone into the soup.
The broth was inspired by Pho broth, but with the simplest way and without any animal ingredient in it. I am not going to take very long monolog here. Just let’s go straight into the recipe.
Originally the broth are made with onion, but since I have sensitivity on onion, I replace it with shallot. Just used onion if you want to, for more sharp stand out flavour.
THE SPICES BROTH
- 2 Big fat shallot, half it (or used big-big fat onion, then quarter it)
- 6 big clove of garlic, crush it
- 1 star anise
- 1 big thumb size ginger, crush it
- 3-4 cloves
- 1-2 bark of cinnamon
- 1 tsp whole pepper
- Sea salt
- 2 litre of water
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- In big pot and high heat, put inside the shallot/onion, just let it there until having charred exterior.
- When the shallot/onion already got beautiful charred and got aromatic, put inside the vegetable oil, garlic, ginger and sautéed until the garlic slightly golden. Then put the water in.
- After the water get in, continue with star anise, cloves, cinnamon and pepper. Simmer with medium to low heat. Seasoned with sea salt and pinch of sugar to balanced.
- After the broth simmering to slightly bubbling away, take out from the heat and strained.
- Store the broth in bottle with lid. Keep them in a fridge for easy used later.
Base on recipe above, this below are very easy recipe that comforting, with ingredient that I believe a staple in every household. Potatoes and carrot. I used new small potatoes, because I love the texture (it have a good texture and able to hold shape on long cooking).
You also able to add any extra ingredient, but only with this two, I love the simplicity and clean flavour from this two simple ingredient.
HUMBLE VEGETABLE IN SPICE BROTH
- Hand full of small new potatoes, quarter it (depend on how big the potatoes are, but cube it into bite size)
- 1-2 carrot, slice according your preference
- 500 – 750 ml spice broth from above recipe
- 2 garlic, crush it
- 1-2 sprig of thyme (really optional)
- Sea salt and pepper (optional, add it when necessary)
- In medium heat and medium pot, put inside all the ingredient, except the sprig of thyme.
- Simmer the broth and cooked until the potatoes and carrot are soft. Seasoned with sea salt and pepper, don’t forget to give it a taste. Since potatoes are absorbed salt, really need to check the seasoning, even though the broth are already balance enough.
- When the potatoes and carrot are soft, the broth also well balanced, take off from the heat.
- Ready to serve hot