This post are continuation from previous one, forest-y breakfast.
At first I was quite skeptic about the idea of putting cinnamon like quite literally on savoury dishes. Yes I used cinnamon on savoury dishes but usually blend with other spices, not as stand alone star of the show.
With a lot of anticipation on how this going to be end, here we go, let’s give it a tried, I am not going to lose anything for trying, hmmm well except I’d lose my fat juicy mushroom, off go to kitchen. But it turned beautifully matched with the mushroom texture and it basic flavoured. Oddly the dishes remind me so much of Indonesian meaty dishes, we Indonesian put cinnamon a lot on our basic soup or Indonesian curry.
Only with this mushroom, thing are a lot simpler than complicated Indonesian flavouring of spices. I only season this dishes with my favourite herb, Thyme, French shallot, a lot of garlic, salt-pepper and ground cinnamon. Enjoy it with hot lemon and toast. My husband enjoy it as topping of savoury oatmeal porridge (recipe later, promise). I love savoury oatmeal porridge, instead of sweet one. Even though occasionally devour sweet one, but If I have to choose.
Okay, wont take too much, here we go …
CINNAMON STIRED FRIED MUSHROOM
- 250 gram mix mushroom, or used any mushroom as you please, clean and trim.
- 1 French shallot, slice it
- 3 fat garlic, crush and chop (you certainly can add more)
- Few sprig of fresh thyme (If you don’t have fresh thyme, you always able to used dried one, But I think the intensity of fresh and dried are quite different in my palate. I want specifically mellow flavour for this breakfast).
- 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon, plus some extra to sprinkle as it serve (the cinnamon are to infuse, as I don’t want to overwhelmed the original flavour of the mushroom).
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 tbs of vegetable oil
- In high heat and medium pan, put inside the oil, shallot and garlic, sautéed until fragrance, since the pan are very hot, please watch over the garlic, don’t let it burn.
- After the garlic are slightly golden (not burned), and all are fragrance, put inside the mushroom and few sprig of thyme (2-3 sprig are worked perfectly), seasoned with sea salt, ground cinnamon and pepper and stirred fast. Give it a taste and corrected it accordingly.
- When everything are blend together, the flavour importantly, then take off from the heat.
- Ready to serve, I serve mine with sprinkle of extra ground cinnamon. My husband enjoy it as a topping with bowl of savoury oatmeal porridge, while I enjoy it with my toast.