Hello again, Need Madrid to lockdown to make me sit down, gathering my thought and to write again *roll eyes hehe. Things get hard for me, I just want to quiet down not doing anything, so I just did, maybe that is all I need.
This original “soto bandung” are one of my mother in law favourite food, serve it cold in sunny season could be so refreshing, serving hot during rainy season could be so warm and appetising. Even though personally I love to serve it hot regardless the season.
Original Soto Bandung are come with beef that already cooked until super tender, then along with radish and gingery broth would create light fragrance dishes. Usually it serve with fried soya and sprinkle of slice Spring Onion.
My twist are instead of beef, I am using smoke firm tofu, which I know would change the totally characteristic of the broth, because of the smokiness flavour. But for the rest I am using the original recipe.
So Shall We?
MY VEGAN VERSION OF INDONESIAN “SOTO BANDUNG”
SERVE 2 Portion
- 250 gram smoke firm tofu (if you can’t find it, firm tofu also work fine), cube it
- 1 white radishes, at any size, if you want to have good amount of veggie than choose the good size, peel and slice it not too thin.
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lime leaves
- 1 thumb size ginger, crush it
- 1 thumb size galangal, crush it
- 1 lemon grass, crush it
- 1 spring onion, slice it (keep some green part to serve)
- 1 litre water (adjusted according the amount of radish you used)
- This followed ingredient, grind it into paste : 2 garlic clove, 1 big shallot, 1 tsp whole white pepper
- Sea-salt and sugar
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- In medium pot and medium high heat, put inside the paste spices (garlic, shallot and white pepper) and the vegetable oil, along with lime leaves, bayleaf, ginger, lemon grass and galangal. Sautéed until fragrance.
- When the paste are fragrance, put inside the water, cooked it until simmer and slightly boiled.
- When the water are boiling put inside slice radishes, seasoned with sea salt and sugar. Don’t forget to give a taste and corrected it accordingly.
- Lastly put inside the tofu, let the water boiling again and sprinkle with slice spring onion.
- Ready to serve, serve it with extra more slice spring onion and fried onion if you got it in hand.