My husband missed this kind of our junk-food, I would called it, since to made it involving frying. In Indonesia you can find it in any “Gorengan” street stall, which mean street stall that sell any fried food, name it any fried snack, usually they sell many fried things (sweet and savoury).
To make this snack it is quite easy, you just need to be gentle and patient, that is the only challenge. The key ingredient of this fritter are garlic, celery, carrot and cabbage. If you want to add any vegetable ingredient that really is your freedom.
We enjoy this snack as it is, or serve it with rice but that day this snack was companion to my coconut yellow rice. Yum yum, I am going to post how to make that yellow rice later.
So for now shall we?
INDONESIAN VEGETABLE FRITTER
- 1/4 Head medium size of cabbage, slice it thin
- 3 celery stalk and some of their leaves, slice it thin
- 3 carrot, slice it julienne
- 1 spring onion, slice it rough
- 3 garlic, ground
- 12 tbs flour
- 4 tbs rice flour
- 1-1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 75ml-100ml water, you may not used all of them (everything depend on the level of humidity the flour you used)
- Vegetable oil to fried
- In big bowl, mix the vegetable together.
- Put in the flour, ground garlic, sea salt, sugar and white pepper, try to mix it together with the veggies, until the flour seemingly coating the vegetable. Then slowly add the water, little by little and mixing it through by Folding the batter.
- You may not used all the water, stop to add the water when the batter are homogenous similar to pancake batter.
- Prepare medium pot with medium high heat. Pouring in the vegetable oil. When the oil are hot, fried table spoon full of batter until it golden.
- Finish the batter.
- Serve it hot
- There are a lot of batter from this recipe, if you want to serve it fresh, you could keep some of batter in airtight container and keep it in a fridge, it is still good up to 3 days.