I was cooking this dishes, because my husband just comeback from longterm working abroad, and he missed home cooked very much. As much Indonesian as it could be, this are basic household menu that most all Indonesian loved. Only I serve it with a lot salad leaves.
I am going to straight forward today, since there are no story behind this dishes. Usually there are some protein added to this dishes, at least egg, but he just want to have vegetable today, so here we go.
POTATOES AND GREEN BEAN IN INDONESIAN CHILLI AND TOMATOES SAUCE (INDONESIAN BALADO)
SERVE 2 portion
- 2 medium size potatoes, cube it then fried just until golden. Crisp outside and fluffy inside.
- Hand-full of green-bean, half. I used Spanish green bean, we called it Judia Verde, it is bigger, crips and skinnier.
- 1 lemon grass, crush it
- 3 lime leaves
- Following spices ingredient, blend into paste: 1 chilli (seed out if you don’t want it hot), 1 tomatoes, 1 big shallot, 2 garlic, 2 candlenut (replace with raw almond for same amount).
- Sea salt, sugar and pepper
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- In medium pan and medium heat, put inside the vegetable oil, spices paste, lemon grass and lime leaves, sautéed until fragrance.
- When the spices are fragrance put inside the slice green bean and fried potatoes. Seasoned with Sea Salt, sugar and pepper, Don’t forget to give it taste and corrected it accordingly ( Usually my ratio for sugar and sea salt are 1:1). Balado are taste sweet, sour, salty and spicy, so the create good balance is crucial.
- When everything blend together, let it sit for couple minute in heat and stirring constantly. Then take out from heat.
- Ready to serve with Salad or steam rice with sprinkle of fried onion if you got it in hand.