This are easy lunch – dinner dishes for us, for us we also enjoy for some breakfast too hehe, yeah we have heavy load breakfast. well it would quick dishes as long as we have fried tofu in hand hehehe.
Tempe and tofu are simple humble my childhood food ingredient that I adore a lot. They are staple in my childhood kitchen, my dad would asking for it everyday, it almost like our main food ingredient like when you are devour in carb, when you are can lived without carb, like myself.
But since move to Spain, I rarely devour it as to find it (the fried one) need some work, by work meaning, I need to go to certain store in “centro”, which sell this kind of tofu. Normal tofu (firm and soft) are more accessible for me, I could get it in nearby store close to home. Owh gosh how I miss Indonesian tofu, mostly Indonesian tofu I had was artisan, hand crafted, the freshest flavour and savoury. This artisan tofu only survive for days, that was why mostly I always got it fresh. But I have to adapt anyway.
Even-though I am not formally introduce my kids to tofu and tempe, they love it very much, we only occasionally have it, and every-time we have it, it is such a pleasure. Like we appreciate it more.
Only few ingredient needed for this recipe, but I you don’t have fried tofu in hand, you can used firm tofu, fried it until golden. For adding more flavour, before you fried the tofu, marinated the tofu with salt and few clove of mince garlic. Marinated it for 1/2 to 1 hour (I know that is time consuming preparation, but you can prepared it day before and keep the tofu in a fridge). This way is how my mother taught me on how prepare tofu and tempe, always marinated with garlic and salt.
Alright, shall we?
LIMEY TOFU BROCCOLI
- 200 gram fried tofu, if you have the cube fried tofu, half it (so the flavour of seasoning would be submerge into the tofu)
- Handful of broccoli — optional, you can replace it with green bean or just omit it
- 3 garlic cloves, crush it and chopped
- 1 big size of french shallot, slice it
- 5-6 lime leaves
- 1 lemon grass, crush the white part and half
- 1 red chilli, slice it
- 2 tbs of sweet soy sauce (replace with 2 tbs soy sauce and 1 tbs maple syrup or brown sugar)
- 1 tbs vegetarian sauce
- Sea salt and pepper
- 5-6 tbs of water
- 1 tbs vegetable oil
- In medium size pan and medium heat, put inside the vegetable oil, shallot, garlic, lime leaves, lemon grass, and chilli, sautéed until fragrance.
- When the basic seasoning are fragrance, put inside the tofu and broccoli, as well as the vegetarian sauce, sweet soy sauce and pepper. Stir it through, then give it a taste, only add the extra salt if you think you need it, since most of the sauce are salty.
- Then add the water, continue to cooked until the water are evaporated and the tofu-broccoli are soft.
- Take out from the heat and ready to serve.
- I serve mine with a bowl of warm rice