Well this technically are not cake, which is weird for me to called it cake. But I always fascinated by how Japanese creating their food in certain way. In traditional way this dessert are to be enjoy with soy bean powder but I differed to be different on how to serve this dessert, I serve mine with mixed berries ice cream, yummm with tangy to balance the sweetness from the jelly.
For this raindrop cake I used Jelly agar instead of using gelatine, because I want to make it plant based, and I think nowadays you could find Jelly agar easily in any market place, so you could enjoy this delicious dessert easily.
Please enjoy, let’s fly to Tokyo…
JAPANESE RAINDROP CAKE
- 15 gram jelly agar
- 3 cup water
- 1 cup sugar, you could adjusted according your preference
- half moon cake mold
- in medium pot, stirred all the ingredient together, thoroughly until there is no lump, then bring it on medium heat until it bubbling away.
- Take it out from the heat and ready to be put into the cake-mold, keep it in the fridge until it set.
THE MIXED BERRIES ICE CREAM
- 250 gram mixed frozen berries
- 1 cup thick coconut cream
- 1/2 cup sugar — optional
- Blend all the ingredients together until soft smooth then froze it in freezer.
HOW TO SERVE/ASSEMBLY
In plate, re-mould the cake then serve it with ice cream and sprinkle of frozen berries